• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery Recommendations

I used stainless wood screws and stainless washers. I think that I used 1/2" or 3/4" screws, but you should check your floor first as they might be different. Easy way to check is find another screw in the floor and pull it out to see how long.

1" should do Mark. I've moved my tray a couple times, and this year also installed a covered box each time using the stainless screws that came with the tray. I think they are 1". Used some nice big washers as well.

The stock battery in my boat is a Deka. I had never heard of them but it has been an excellent battery. 6 years old so it is time to replace it although it is only slightly weak. I got the 27DC at costco. Cam.

Is a blue top overkill? Some say yes, but do you ever want to be stuck with a dead battery, NOPE. I'd say the additional 120 is WELL WORTH the security. I have two blue tops in my Yamaha
Overkill? I dunno. OverPriced? I say yes. Blue Tops are only rated at 50ah. Standard Deep Cycle marine batteries are more than twice the capacity at half the price. For the same price as Blue Tops, you get over 4 times the reserve capacity with traditional Deep Cycle marine batteries.

If you need help with a charger, feel free to message me. I can help out!
Jason

I absolutely love batteries plus for batteries.... after allot of research, they have really good products with great service after the fact.... I've bought 8 deep cycle batteries over the years for all my stereo needs... :) As long as you keep them charged, as with almost any battery, they are great....

A word on the battery boxes or trays. I avoided screwing them down directly to the floor. If you need to move them to get back in the compartment, it creates all kinds to hassle to do so. The boxes and trays come with a strap with two small retainers that you screw to the floor...and they are more than secure. The way to mount them without a template is easy. Decide where you want them, by placing them, then remove the tray/box closest to the opening. Work on the most interior box first. Just reach behind that box and place your finger in the center channel of the tray or box along the back edge and move the box out of the way. Then install the first retainer in that position. Then place the box over the strap and against that retainer, and mark the second retainer location, move the box, and install that retainer. Some of these straps come with a single retainer and that makes it easier. Then you just put it in the center of the box area and attach it. The strap cinches down to hold the box and the batteries are heavy, so as long as they don't move much, they are secure. If you screw down a box, to get behind it, you have to remove the box top, remove the cables, remove the battery, unscrew the box from the floor, remove the box. If you use the strap, you can just loosen and move the battery, box and all, out of the way...IF you have left a "service loop" in the length of the battery cable.

If you run standard flooded lead acid batteries of any size or brand...you MUST check the electrolyte levels frequently to avoid boiling your battery. Sealed AGM's don't require this, and is my primary reason for liking them. I know that some maintenance doesn't happen near frequent enough...and battery electrolyte level checks is one of them. Not only will it shorten the life of a battery by not keeping them full...it is dangerous to charge or use a battery that is low on electrolyte. And batteries that are discharged and recharged often will need electrolyte added frequently. Consider it one of those "pay me now, or pay me later" type things. If you don't mind moving and filling batteries, checking them at least every 2 months, then no reason to spend more than the $80 on them. If you have more than one battery, doing this is a real PIA! I know the big stereo guys do their damn'est to make sure their batteries are in good shape, so do fishermen that depend on them too. Just charging a standard flooded lead acid is only half the maintenance needed...the other half is keeping the electrolyte at the proper level.

Walmart batteries may be just fine but Consumer Reports is totally bogus. As non-experts they simply fly by the seat of their pants without the benefit of years of applicational or industry experience. You can basically arrive at the same conclusions by collecting the printed brochures from various manufacturers and then making your own spread sheet....however based on the manufacturer data your conclusions will be wrong.

Totally bogus?

Totally dude?

Well, for starters, they are a publishing company. It's not Underwriter's Laboratory.

According to available info, "Consumer Reports is the largest, most trusted independent product testing organization in the world. They accept no advertising, pay for all the products they test, and, as a not for profit organization, they have no shareholders. It also publishes cleaning and general buying guides. It has approximately 7.3 million subscribers[2] and an annual testing budget of approximately US$21 million. "

I really don't think numbers like that fall into the "Bogus" category.

They've been sued, but not successfully.

And while I don't always agree with the reports I've read there while doing research before a purchase, there aren't too many sources with the same purpose and credentials to go to for the average consumer.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Reports

It's a source of info, nothing more, nothing less. The wise consumer uses all the resources they can to formulate their decisions about purchases.

They seem to be upfront about who they are and what they do:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/whats-behind-the-ratings/testing/index.htm

While no single information resource is ever the Ultimate Word when it comes to evaluating products, they do a pretty good job considering the vast amount of information they process.

Rather then simply labeling them "Bogus", perhaps you can share an alternative resource or provide credible evidence to support that declaration?

"Our battery-life tests include partially draining, then recharging, each battery almost 3,000 times over a 15-week period. We also measure how long a battery can supply power if you–oops–leave on your headlights. And we mimic frosty morning starts by testing the current that’s available at 0° F"

Sounds like actual test data to me. That's a lot different than just gathering data from printed brochures. I like that they do not accept products or ads from the manufacturers. They go out and buy the products off the shelf and run them all through the same series of tests. For me, that's valuable data. Do I always buy their top pick? No. But I do value the reports of where all the products compare to each other and the differences between the "brochure" data with the "actual test" data.

Last edited:
Great. We have a difference in opinion then. My direct experience with Consumer Reports has been with audio equipment which I know a great deal about. Their conclusions where amateurish, completely shallow and laughable to most anyone with real experience in the audio industry.

Is a blue top overkill? Some say yes, but do you ever want to be stuck with a dead battery, NOPE. I'd say the additional 120 is WELL WORTH the security. I have two blue tops in my Yamaha and 1 blue top in my Tahitti.

Optima's are way overpriced for the power they provide....look at the specs on the Deka, Interstate, Sears, etc...don't get me wrong they are a great battery, just overpriced

I ended up going w/standard wet batteries, can't beat the price/power ratio...picked mine up from Batteriesplus. not sure if they have one near you??

Great. We have a difference in opinion then. My direct experience with Consumer Reports has been with audio equipment which I know a great deal about. Their conclusions where amateurish, completely shallow and laughable to most anyone with real experience in the audio industry.

Not to belabor the point, but I don't doubt that you had a disappointing experience with Consumer Reports in that category, moreover high end audio. It's just not their bag.
They have rarely anointed any of the top-line products as "Best" mainly due to the higher expense associated with the luxury item class.
They seem to factor in the initial cost and product lifecycle into their decisions as well as performance and suitability for use.

If they have several items that perform the same basic function well, they choose the least expensive to the consumer to purchase and operate - usually, not always.

When I think of Consumer reports I think of washing machines, refrigerators, TV's and other basic appliances and your basic middle of the road merchandise. Stuff we buy fairly frequently and on which can appreciate saving a few bucks.

So I'm not going to disparage an otherwise good publication because they fail miserably at informing me about the differences between two top electrophoresis chambers. I'll settle for their advice on how to save a few bucks on disposable diapers.

Just take it for what it is...a publishing company with good intentions trying to sell magazines and internet subscriptions to make lots of money (but no profit) That's the American way!

Not to belabor the point, but I don't doubt that you had a disappointing experience with Consumer Reports in that category, moreover high end audio. It's just not their bag.
They have rarely anointed any of the top-line products as "Best" mainly due to the higher expense associated with the luxury item class.
They seem to factor in the initial cost and product lifecycle into their decisions as well as performance and suitability for use.

If they have several items that perform the same basic function well, they choose the least expensive to the consumer to purchase and operate - usually, not always.

When I think of Consumer reports I think of washing machines, refrigerators, TV's and other basic appliances and your basic middle of the road merchandise. Stuff we buy fairly frequently and on which can appreciate saving a few bucks.

So I'm not going to disparage an otherwise good publication because they fail miserably at informing me about the differences between two top electrophoresis chambers. I'll settle for their advice on how to save a few bucks on disposable diapers.

Just take it for what it is...a publishing company with good intentions trying to sell magazines and internet subscriptions to make lots of money (but no profit) That's the American way!

Very well said. I'll bet we agree on that!

@Glassman. Very well said!
Consumer Reports is a great source of information and no I don't always agree with them but I do always refer to them.

Back