• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery selector position?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just read the following statement in a SeaTow newsletter and wondered if you agree or not. I have been one of those who always keeps the selector in the "All" position but apparently that is wrong.

Battery Switch Savvy
“Knowing how your battery charger works, and whether to have the switch on 1, 2 or “All” (or “Both”) is a big deal,” said Capt. O’Reilly. “A lot of people think “All” is the place to be, and then they run down their batteries and can’t start the boat.”

Boaters should start off with two fully charged batteries, then choose one of the two available battery switch positions for running, either 1 or 2. Only use the “All” or "Both" position if it is an emergency when both batteries are discharged to the point that neither of them alone will crank the engine over but two can do it together. How do you know which battery switch setting to use? One way is by alternating their use, using 1 for odd-numbered days and 2 for even-numbered days.

I alternate between 1 and 2 with a low voltage disconnect that switches off house power at 50% discharge. That way I make sure not to discharge the batteries deeply enough to damage them and I spread out the discharge cycles across the two batteries. At 50% I can start the boat from the discharged battery even if both are at that point.

You should have your house and start battery switches on and the center or emergency switch off when running. That way if you run your house battery low while setting with the stereo or other accessories on and run the house battery down the boat will still start off the start battery and charge the house battery. The same will work if the start battery is to low to start the engines you can switch on the emergency switch and start off the house battery.

That's good info by Capt. O'Reilly.....'IF' the battery switch is wired correctly and nothing, such as a large stereo, is run battery-direct rather than the 'C' post of the battery switch.

So with the Yamaha 242 dual battery's setup which one is it? After starting , Do you run with both batteries on? Or do you run with only one of them on?

So with the Yamaha 242 dual battery's setup which one is it? After starting , Do you run with both batteries on? Or do you run with only one of them on?
You have to run with both on at all times. The only time you would want to run the COMBINE OR BOTH option is when you can NOT start the boat with just the starter battery.

The 242 is setup to have one battery dedicated to start the boat, and the other (house) battery runs everything else (stereo). So you never want to combine the batteries unless you can't start the boat. Just set both switches to ON.

That's what I do, I set both switches to on and when we anchor no listen to radio I turn the start battery to the off position and leave the house on.
From what I'm reading the combine or middle switch is only turned on if the boat doesn't start. Is that correct?

That's what I do, I set both switches to on and when we anchor no listen to radio I turn the start battery to the off position and leave the house on.
From what I'm reading the combine or middle switch is only turned on if the boat doesn't start. Is that correct?
Yes, you are correct. I don't believe you need to waste your time turning your starter off while anchoring (should be fine as long as your lights, blower and bilge pump are all off). If you run your house battery all the way down by listening to the radio, your boat will still start. That is why having two batteries is nice...stress free listening to tunes not worrying about starting up hours later.

The way the Yamahas are set up is that the starting battery only starts the engines and nothing else. The house battery runs everything else including the lights, bilge pumps and anything else. The combine switch is only used if your start battery is low and the extra power from the house battery is needed to start the engines. The article they are referring to is using a single 3 position switch and not 3 switches like we have in the Yamahas. So you should keep your 2 switches on while using the boat and then turn them off when not using it unless you keep it in the water, then you need to keep them on to power th bilge if you take on water.

(should be fine as long as your lights, blower and bilge pump are all off).

Please have the bilge pump on anytime the boat is in the water. It is better to discover a leak early.

Back