• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery suggestions for wet slip with no shore power

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I live on a small lake and my boat is in wet slip about 1/4 mile from my house. There is no shore power available at the docks. Boat is 2019 AR195 with stock starting battery. Currently only the stock radio, but am making plans to add modest sound upgrades (Clarion amp for cabin speakers, small powered sub, Wetsounds tower soundbar).

We often tow around the lake and then sit in a cove for 4-6 hours on the weekend. Usually have the radio going. So far the boat has always started up but I'm getting tired of worrying about it. By the time we are done the Connext battery voltage display is usually showing 11.9v, although the battery voltage display in the RideSteady usually shows higher at 12.2v or so.

Considering options to improve. I've read countless posts on this site and have tried to distill them into a list of options.

Here's my current situation: Single stock starting battery. I pull the boat (or battery) from the wet slip every 2 weeks to charge. Carry a NOCO jump pack when out (sometimes I do forget to bring it).

My new options are:

1. Do nothing and keep going. Rely on NOCO in case of dead battery or be "that guy" who needs a jump. Free.

2. Get a second starting battery, keep on trickle charge at home and rotate with the boat one every 2 weeks. Cost: $100

3. Keep single stock battery and add a 10W solar trickle charger when boat is docked. Normally have 2-5 days between boat use. Cost: $125

4. Replace starting battery with a single AGM battery, like Optima. Pull boat or battery to charge as necessary, hopefully it lasts more than every 2 weeks. Cost: $225

5. Add an AGM as a second battery, with switch, etc. Cost: $500 plus time in the offseason to wire.

6. ??? Open to ideas.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just keep the jump pack with me and see what happens as time goes by. If it becomes a problem and the battery goes dead a couple of times, then I might address the issue.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ideally I would add a second deep cycle battery with a battery selector switch and an automatic charging relay linking the two. Use the starting battery only while the engine is on, but then switch to the deep cycle if you are going to float and run the stereo. Then get that solar trickle charger to keep on it while not in use. It might just be enough to keep them topped off.

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ideally I would add a second deep cycle battery with a battery selector switch and an automatic charging relay linking the two. Use the starting battery only while the engine is on, but then switch to the deep cycle if you are going to float and run the stereo. Then get that solar trickle charger to keep on it while not in use. It might just be enough to keep them topped off.
idealy this what i would do, keep it simple as starting battery only for start, deep cycle for others, solar panel to charge no matter your boat are on water or land !

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Doing nothing is obviously the cheapest option. The engine does turn a 40A generator that charges the battery pretty quickly. From a full single battery charge the boat can safely sit in the water for about 2 weeks with the auto bilge on.

I have added the battery tender 10w solar panel plugged into the cig lighter, a second battery, and the Yamaha dual battery switch / dvsr kit.

Never used the second battery except to test, and currently do not use the solar panel since the boat is never sitting in the water for over 2 weeks without use this year.

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have the same boat and setup as me (on dock without power). I don't have amps or anything, but I use the jump pack option. I also bought a cheap solar charger from Amazon, and it brought the battery from 12.0 to 12.6 in a day; which to me was impressive.

I have only used the jump pack once in two years, and that was only because the boat sat for a few weeks. Battery wasn't dead, but voltage was mid 11's and I didn't want to risk it dying.

This winter I am going to do dual battery setup. But all in all, I am impressed with the boats ability to charge the battery. I just keep an eye on the volt meter every now and then when I sit and just play music and try to stop with music once I hit 12.0 volts.

Swapping batteries sounds like the biggest pain in the A**, so that would be the option I would not do.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You have the same boat and setup as me (on dock without power). I don't have amps or anything, but I use the jump pack option. I also bought a cheap solar charger from Amazon, and it brought the battery from 12.0 to 12.6 in a day; which to me was impressive.

I have only used the jump pack once in two years, and that was only because the boat sat for a few weeks. Battery wasn't dead, but voltage was mid 11's and I didn't want to risk it dying.

This winter I am going to do dual battery setup. But all in all, I am impressed with the boats ability to charge the battery. I just keep an eye on the volt meter every now and then when I sit and just play music and try to stop with music once I hit 12.0 volts.

Swapping batteries sounds like the biggest pain in the A**, so that would be the option I would not do.

Which solar charger did you use? I'm open to that as a possibility - I figure it can't hurt.

Before going to a dual-battery setup, which is about a $500 spend, I am considering trying to switch the basic factory battery with an AGM. Something like an Optima Blue battery. If that isn't enough then I add another battery.

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got this one. It is low on the wattage, but should be fine if plugged in for a few days:

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which solar charger did you use? I'm open to that as a possibility - I figure it can't hurt.

Before going to a dual-battery setup, which is about a $500 spend, I am considering trying to switch the basic factory battery with an AGM. Something like an Optima Blue battery. If that isn't enough then I add another battery.

Also I think the single Optima battery might be worth a shot.

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been using a solar charger since 2014 when I first got my boat. It's been flawless.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a solar charger today. When the boat is wet slipped the battery tends to run low with the bilge pump system on the 230’s. Actually dead last time we went out so I’m going to try this panel on the south side of the tower when the boat is in it’s slip. Bought this Coleman for $15 at Menards. Figured it’s worth a shot2795198E-A33F-4E88-B3BC-4DB496D5178C.jpeg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Install a secondary bilge pump that only triggers off of a contact (not cycling on/off looking for water) and wire straight to the battery along with a solar charger. This way you can leave the battery switch off.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Install a secondary bilge pump that only triggers off of a contact (not cycling on/off looking for water) and wire straight to the battery along with a solar charger. This way you can leave the battery switch off.
I installed a second float activated pump last winter and wired it direct getting ready for a Bimini trip & I just like to have the redundancy in case one fails. Coming from a pontoon we never had to worry about water in the boat but I've seen boats like ours full of water in their slip and the only thing holdin them from going to the bottom is the dock lines.