• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Battery Tender Charging?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My boat came with Battery Tender charging. Is this only needed if you put the boat in storage and aren't going to use the battery for several months? Just trying to determine when I should plug this in to the outlet. I've been using the stock radio on my 212x, when kids want to jump in the water and swim on each of our 4 outings. I think I saw that battery reading was 14v from the instrument panel and doesn't seem to have any issues with radio or starting.

Also there is switch near the battery and after each outing I've been turning it off using that switch. Is that necessary?

I noticed some members have dual battery setup. When is that necessary? Everything on the boat looks to be stock so no high voltage amps or anything like that.

19347230631_48dce223bd_b.jpg

Thank you for your input.

Dual batteries are a must in my book. For a couple hundred bucks you don't need to worry about getting stranded because your engine won't start. Dual batteries gives you a dedicated starting battery and a 2nd battery to run your stereo and electronics. That way you can run your stereo as long as you want and your engine will always start. As far as using the battery tender you have now I guess it depends on how low you run the battery down and how long you run the engine to recharge it afterwards. If you can I would plug it in anyways, if it's an automatic charger it couldn't hurt just to top off your battery.

Be careful about leaving chargers like the battery tender and schumacher trickle and float chargers on as they tend to boil the electrolyte out and ruin batteries. If you're going to charge up the batteries keep an eye on it and when it indicates its done, take it off. I use them on occasion but I do keep a close watch to see when they're done. Had a good friend who I rode motorcycles with who was an engineer who designed battery technology and told me about battery charging, after i "boiled" a few MC batteries.

The battery tender is highly recommended to be used as often as possible. It will hold your batteries in a float charge which will certainly not boil out anything. The best thing to do is call the battery manufacturer and ask for the charging requirements for your specific battery. If the required float charge voltage is less than the battery tender voltage, you could reduce your battery's service life.

I had my waverunner battery on a tendor for almost 2 years. no problem with the battery at all this summer

I keep all my bikes and boats on a Battery Tender (Jr. version). The boat is always plugged in when I am gone. The bikes are plugged in over the winter. I ride a lot in the winter but sometimes it may be a few weeks in between and I want to keep the battery charged. The tenders don't over charge and insures you can always start up and go when you are ready. My batteries seem to last longer as well.

I use a battery tender on everthing i own from the lawnmower, boat and even the car if sitting for long periods of time. Been doing it for many years. Never had a battery boil or go bad.

To get back to your question @dansshin. If you don't draw down your battery much with stereo use another option for an additional battery is to buy a portable jump pack. That gives you peace of mind in the event of a dead main battery. Whereas it's portable it also allows you to help out other boaters. In the off season it goes into my truck as a back up so it gets year round use.

I plug my charger in once or twice per season and leave it on a pulse charger all winter. My battery is a 2006 which is original to the boat and still tests fine. The main switch near the battery goes off at all times I'm OUT of the water. If I'm at the dock it stays ON the entire time the boat is in the water to power the bilge pump if needed.

Be careful about leaving chargers like the battery tender and schumacher trickle and float chargers on as they tend to boil the electrolyte out and ruin batteries. If you're going to charge up the batteries keep an eye on it and when it indicates its done, take it off. I use them on occasion but I do keep a close watch to see when they're done. Had a good friend who I rode motorcycles with who was an engineer who designed battery technology and told me about battery charging, after i "boiled" a few MC batteries.

EXTREMELY WELL STATED.

Hopefully some will read and re-read what he has written.

PERIOD !

Best WIshes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Let's be a little careful with blanket statements. Many of the name brands mentioned in various postings, above, market more than one type of battery charger.

For example, I have a dual bank Battery Tender that I purchased approx. Oct 2009. I checked the model number, it is a 022-0165. It is not a trickle charger. It is a relatively low amperage smart charger that I bought for winter battery maintenance. It has not harmed my lead acid, deep cycle marine batteries or my lawn mower battery (which I pop on for about a week here and there to keep it happy) in six winters of use.

http://www.batterytender.com/Automo...V-1-25A-Each-Bank-USA-Western-Hemisphere.html (this appears to be a slightly updated version of mine)

I am in the market for an onboard charger. I am leaning toward a gen 3 ProSport 12 amp dual bank. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for the inputs. I'm considering potentially getting a dual battery setup or portable charger but I don't feel the urgency for this yet. It looks like my unit is the Battery Tender JR and I'm sure the battery is stock Yamaha battery they gave with the boat, unless this varies between boats. I'll probably plug it in when I store for the winter but may use it before than if I see the battery level go low. So far battery on the boat has been working perfectly even with occasional use of the radio. My kids like to turn the radio on and up from the back remote when they are jumping in and swimming from the back.

Thank you all for the inputs. I'm considering potentially getting a dual battery setup or portable charger but I don't feel the urgency for this yet. It looks like my unit is the Battery Tender JR and I'm sure the battery is stock Yamaha battery they gave with the boat, unless this varies between boats. I'll probably plug it in when I store for the winter but may use it before than if I see the battery level go low. So far battery on the boat has been working perfectly even with occasional use of the radio. My kids like to turn the radio on and up from the back remote when they are jumping in and swimming from the back.
These days batteries don't give much warning before they don't start the motor they're attached to. The other issue is being in the water for a week or more with the bilge pump on which will eventually kill the battery. It would be wise to be prepared for that eventuality. I would seriously consider either a second battery or a portable jump pack. Living in MN. as you do I would think you would get dual purpose from a jump pack given your cold winters.

Back