• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery tending off the boat

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After a quick search on battery tenders, I see I need one for this winter. I dry store my boat on the top shelf so no shore power available. I want to remove the batteries, store them at home and hook them up to a tender mounted on the wall of my garage.

Any issues with (1) keeping the boat off power for several months and (2) tending the batteries at home? I know I will need to keep them off the concrete floor and as warm as possible. I am most likely going with a NOCO or ProMariner 8-amp tender on my 2017 242 s e-series.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also remove my batteries for Winter. Leave them in my garage, not heated, but insulated, never gets colder than about 40 degrees in winter. (in ohio, so not real far north)

I do not have a battery tender, but do have a smart charger. I usually charge mine up after taking them out out, then do a quick voltage check every 2 months to determine if I need to hook back up to charger. They tend to hold a pretty solid charge all winter. This of course probably all depends on how old your batteries are to start with.

Never had any issues when hooking them back up all, electronics, connext, etc, all worked fine.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I store mine in my garage (on a 2x6 plank, not right on the concrete). it’s unheated but attached to the house so it probably doesn’t get much below freezing. I use A Promariner 12A two-battery charger that I bought last year.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Batteries out , in my heated basement, put the smart charger on them every 60 days, 3 years now all good!

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A charged battery will not freeze. Mine stay in the boat in an unheated barn all winter and can stay below freezing for days but each does have a Battery Tender Junior attached.

paragus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not storing batteries on concrete is for old batteries when the glass cells were enclosed in a wooden box. Modern batteries are made with plastic or rubber and it doesn't matter stored on concrete or not.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Just make sure you take a picture of the positive and negative lead hookups before you disconnect. Every spring you see posts from boaters who re-connected their wires wrong.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Or make a sketch of the connections and leave it in the boat.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All good advice here. I think you could 2 battery tender jr's for less than the cost of a dual battery tender. And as @jsg73 said, if the batteries are fully charged they won't freeze. So if they're on the tender they'll be fine wherever they are.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
EXCELLENT advice! I have pictures already from the earlier this year when I had to replace a battery. Thanks for the reminder!

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice and information. As a new boat owner (when do I no longer get to say that?) and worrier, sometimes it is good for me to just read shared experiences. I never grew up with boats so I am learning as I go along. This forum has been wonderful!

I purchased a dual tender and will get the batteries out of the boat this weekend. I will build a shelf and hang my tender as well just to free up floor space in my garage. Again, appreciate all the advice.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use a dual battery tender in an unheated garage (only barely drops to freezing occasionally). 4 years on the batteries and no issues.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bring 'em in, put them on a shelf in the basement and hook them to a Dual Output Battery Tender. I leave them plugged in to the Tender all winter long. Never had a problem with any of the batteries I hooked up to a Battery Tender product. This includes boat batteries, a half dozen different Jet Skis over the years and a 2013 Jeep.

Wesley Cobb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bring 'em in, put them on a shelf in the basement and hook them to a Dual Output Battery Tender. I leave them plugged in to the Tender all winter long. Never had a problem with any of the batteries I hooked up to a Battery Tender product. This includes boat batteries, a half dozen different Jet Skis over the years and a 2013 Jeep.
Great! Thanks for the words. The set up you describe is my project for this weekend. I am building a shelf for my two batteries and mounting the tender to the wall.