• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery wiring on two-battery AR210

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've looked through a few dozen threads on battery wiring, and can't find the answer I need. I can see how factory two-battery setups on 24-footers are set up, but they have a starting battery and a house battery - I don't think that's my situation. Full disclosure: when I winterized the boat last fall, I didn't take a picture of the battery wiring - no idea why, but it may relate to idiocy.

At any rate, I had the dealer install a second battery and a switch on my 2019 AR210 when I bought it last summer. The batteries are identical, and there is not a "starting" battery - they can be used interchangeably depending on the switch position, and even with the switch in the off position, the bilge pump is always live. Now I'm reinstalling the batteries, and I'm struggling with all the wires. Pictures are attached.

The dealer nicely labeled two red wires #1 and #2 coming from the switch, and two black wires Ground #1 and Ground #2 (can't really tell where they're coming from). Very nice, so I attached them to what I arbitrarily call batteries 1 and 2 - I think I got that part right. Then there's more cables. :( There are two thick black cables - one each from a lug on the back of each engine - I'll call them engine grounds. There's a small gauge black wire coming from the battery switch. And, then there's a loose 8 gauge cable, about a foot long, lying in the battery compartment.

So, the questions:
1) Where do the two engine grounds get attached? Both to one battery, or one to each battery? If the latter, does it matter which battery gets which engine ground?
2) Does it matter which battery the small switch ground gets attached to?
3) Do I use the loose cable to attach the two battery grounds together?

Thanks for any info! I hope to take the boat for a spin tomorrow, but don't want to fry my electronics.

Attachments

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh - and as I was reading threads I saw a warning to keep metal things like the tray table support (visible in my photo) out of the battery compartment - good advice, and I'll relocate that item. (although the batteries are covered with a large plastic cover once I get the wiring done).