• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

battle with surge brakes trailer winning

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys need some advice

working on replacing my surge brakes actuator/resovoir and I was not getting any brake fluid to the brakes stroking the surge brake piston. Took off the surge brake and pump the piston and only pressurized air is being pumped out. The resovoir is full. Any ideas. thanks

George

Attachments

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like it is sucking air. Are you sealing the outlet when releasing the piston? Some guys will run a piece of hose from the exit back into reservoir itself so you are not sucking air.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Making progress. I managed to get brake fluid out of the solenoid valve by pumping the master cylinder piston several times while it was apart. Seems like I needed longer strokes than the screwdriver could deliver. What a nightmare. should be good from here. Thanks

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Place a sturdy board such as a 2 x 4 into the safety chain loop below the coupler. The board should be four feet long or more so it will extend well above the actuator. Position the board to press against the front end of the actuator’s coupler and use it to force the coupler case into the actuators outer housing. This pumps the brake fluid into the trailer braking system. Manually pull the coupler case back to fully extended position and repeat the process.

Thanks Red, this method is a lot easier than using a screw driver to pump the brake fluid.

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find someone with a vacuum bleeder. I did mine a week ago and the vacuum bleeder makes it downright easy. I have a mightyvac 7400 with the brake bleeder addon. It serves a lot of purposes other than just bleeding brakes. Great tool to have around.