• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bearing Housing Grease Question

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a AR230 2007, and wondering about adding grease to the bearing housing, but the manual is not that clear.

I have some questions?

1) How can you tell if it needs grease added? squeeze the tubing?
2) Can you use marine wheel bearing grease?
3) I have grease slippage, it that normal, why does that happen? (see pictures)
4) Is the grease for the main prop cone (housing), if so it seems very important and Yamaha should provide a more exact method? (yes /no)

Attachments

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
the grease doesn't actually grease the bearings - they are all sealed. what it does is add an extra layer for sealing out water and prevent the seal from drying out.

the design is flawed, if you ask me. if you're really aggressive, you can blow out the rear seal - which is worse than never having grease in the first place. but you have to be pretty ham-fisted to to do that. i found that the entire space between the seal and the bearing doesn't always fill with grease. you can't avoid a bubble since there's only one way in and one way out - air will get trapped. i recently replaced my housings and i thoroughly filled the voids with grease before adding the seals.

(1) i removed the tube altogether and can grease the nipple at the housing - it doesn't have a ball valve, so i can just add some and pull the gun off the nipple: if it pushes some back out, i'm full. i keep a "rubber vacuum cap" over the housing nipple. most test the tube like you mention, but that isn't obviously discernible.
(2) just about any waterproof grease will work. i use Green Grease.
(3) seapage? it is probably coming out the bottom of the tube at the housing nipple: too much grease and nowhere else to go. the vulcanized rubber can also let go of the housing - this can allow grease to squeeze out and also let water in.
(4) yes, it's very vague. but it's a closed system - it shouldn't need much grease (if any) anyways.