• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Beneteau offloading Scarab

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Groupe Beneteau has announced that it will offload Scarab along with a handful of other boat brands as part of a 5-year strategic plan. Doesn’t mean we’re up shit creek, but in order for the Scarab brand to continue, the company needs a buyer. Their reasoning is slumping sales due to Covid-19 among other things. Check out this article:

Groupe Beneteau Reveals Strategic Plan

REAGAN HAYNESUPDATED:JUL 10, 2020ORIGINAL:JUL 9, 2020
Scarab is one of the brands that is not part of Groupe Beneteau’s new strategy.
Scarab is one of the brands that is not part of Groupe Beneteau’s new strategy.
Groupe Beneteau outlined its modified, five-year strategy Thursday, saying it will respond to the Covid-19 pandemic by taking a number of measures.

The Groupe will move from 12 strategic brands to eight: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Prestige, Lagoon, Four Winns, Wellcraft, Delphia and Excess.

“The four remaining brands will have the opportunity to continue their stories through new partnerships or joint ventures currently under discussion,” said Groupe Beneteau CEO Jérôme de Metz in a webcast. Glastron and Scarab are among the four brands that the Groupe will not focus on moving forward.

The release contains more information than what is written above, but is not really relevant.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm guessing that'll be it for Scarab unfortunately. I can't imagine an outside investor trying to come in and make it work.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I thought boat sales were up!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to agree, sounds like Scarab is over.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought boat sales were up!
I am only guessing here, but they are likely looking at the financial damage this pandemic is doing and will continue to do and have determined that this sales pop will not last. Very sad for those of us that love boating, but big ticket luxury items are among the first things to go when people need to dig out from financial hardship. We are just beginning to feel the macroeconomic effects from this whole thing - what with PPP and $22/hr unemployment (due to run out in a couple weeks), and special government paid furloughs in the airline industry set to run out in a couple of months. UK economy-wide govt paid furloughs running out soon, too. Etc.

It is sad to see long legged brands like Scarab and Glastron going away, but that seems likely.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GTBRMC I totally agree with your assessment. I am very concerned what everything will look like once the PPP and high unemployment payments run dry and get reduced. Whether they extend it or not, sooner rather than later things are going to get rough financially for a lot of companies and individuals. A year from now the retail landscape is going to look a lot different.

What just happened in Boat sales, cannot continue or be sustained. As consumers refocus their money and look at their employment and financial future, big ticket items will be the first to stall.

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I just picked up my 2019 Scarab 215 (brand new) so what will this do for my warranties, etc?
I'm in the same boat, pun intended.. I just picked up a 19 255 ID.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To those who just purchased their Scarab, hopefully something will work out long term with warranties. BUT it is a great time to learn everything about your boat including doing the proper maintenance and upkeep, hopefully it will give you many years of enjoyment.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Parts support and no true dealer network would scare me, I do all maintenance on my Yamaha but I know I can get parts

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Maccam26 I Agree, but you have people now who just purchased Scarab Boats, either they sell em off used and hope they can recover what they got into it, hope for the best for future warranty work, or they need to learn how to maintain them, themselves or find a local shop to do it. Once they purchased they are in the eco system.

I am sure if there was a sign or they were told they Scarab by go out of business most would not have closed on their new Boats.

Of course I would suggest if this is the path for the Future of Scarab, to steer clear on new purchases.

Tempest

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Maccam26 I Agree, but you have people now who just purchased Scarab Boats, either they sell em off used and hope they can recover what they got into it, hope for the best for future warranty work, or they need to learn how to maintain them, themselves or find a local shop to do it. Once they purchased they are in the eco system.

I am sure if there was a sign or they were told they Scarab by go out of business most would not have closed on their new Boats.

Of course I would suggest if this is the path for the Future of Scarab, to steer clear on new purchases.
Great opportunity for some I guess. I honestly don’t think they’re going to disappear however. I don’t think Glastron is going anywhere either.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tempest Nothing will be the same after everything that we just went through, keep that in Mind. The economic impact is just beginning. It will continue for quite some time. I am sure a lot of brands, Manufacturers and stores will not survive. In all industries there will be a constriction, especially big purchase items. It is smart to cut fat and run lean. I would rather have fewer brands and products that can sustain consumer engagement and provide a quality product, than stuff scattered everywhere.

ShlepRock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Its not the end of Scarab... Everyone needs to take a deep breath in.. To get more info on this join Scarab Jet Boats on Facebook.. Leonard Maraist who created the page has explained it better to everyone ready to jump off the bridge.. He is one of the top Scarab dealers out there. I too said oh no until I read the story behind it.. Here is what he pretty much said... Group Beneteau was ever only interested in boats 28' and bigger the whole time.. They took over the Scarab name back in 13-14 I believe.. They had the rights to the mold ect.. All they had to do was put the boats together.. That's all they have been doing for the last 6 years.. They have been waiting for sales to take off (Scarabs are on back order till Dec now).. This is their chance to sell the brand to someone (rumors are maybe Polaris) who will build the brand and not just maintain it.. At the end of the day this may be the best thing for Sacarb owners.. Plus its a 5 year plan.. Its not happening over night and dealerships arent going to stop servicing them any time soon.. Go to the Facebook page and read up on it.. Very informative group..
Enjoy your Scarab like I do....

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @ShlepRock. When Sea-Doo stopped making boats their parts and support were not interrupted. There are parts on my 06 SX230 that are no longer available but I'm still in the water. Scarab owners have little to worry about. There will be plenty of vultures out there if people panic and start dumping late model Scarabs for pennies on the dollar.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Enjoy your Scarab like I do and stop listening to the outsiders who chime in...
I wish Scarab and all Scarab owners well. It is an iconic brand that has delivered many exciting products over the years that have, no doubt, brought much joy to many owners and enthusiasts. Current Scarab owners will likely be fine regardless of whether the brand is picked up by some other owner or not. The drive trains, obviously, will continue to be backed and served by BRP.

Note this forum was built on the friendly and open exchange of information and ideas about jetboats of all brands and types and is open to anyone interested. Your comment "stop listening to outsiders who chime in" is snide, unnecessary, and unwelcome.

ShlepRock

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
I wish Scarab and all Scarab owners well. It is an iconic brand that has delivered many exciting products over the years that have, no doubt, brought much joy to many owners and enthusiasts. Current Scarab owners will likely be fine regardless of whether the brand is picked up by some other owner or not. The drive trains, obviously, will continue to be backed and served by BRP.

Note this forum was built on the friendly and open exchange of information and ideas about jetboats of all brands and types and is open to anyone interested. Your comment "stop listening to outsiders who chime in" is snide, unnecessary, and unwelcome.
Wasnt meant to be snide... Just wanted everyone to not panic... Edited reply...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Evinrude did the same thing and Mercury bought out all the parts and service contracts on them - a smart short term decision for long term customer acquisition if you ask me. I don't think Yamaha would consider doing the same, but maybe?

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, People shouldn't panic, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be prudent and diligent in your choices and decisions especially with big ticket items. The future for the line looks like it will be uncertain, conjecture aside. Hopefully that is not the case for all owners. I actually looked at a Scarab and was so close to buying it but with Yamaha instead because the Yamaha was a bit cheaper and the big selling factor was their history and potential future as a solid Jet boat provider.

Of course they wouldn't ever come out and give you worst case scenario. But with the line being uncertain, I would urge you factor that into future considerations especially when you are about to drop 40-80k on average on a boat.

@anmut Excellent point.