• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best advice to fix this gelcoat crack

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was climbing around the bottom of the boat cleaning and waxing and found this. Im not really sure how long its been here, and how much water has been soaking the underlying fiberglass. I do know that it's been a long time since its seen water, so it's definitely dry right now. Fill it with a marine-tex product? Grind it to the fiberglass and attempt a new coat of gelcoat? Grind out the crack in a V and fill it gelcoat? Appreciate the expertise!
Hull crack1.jpghullcrack2.jpghullcrack3.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having a hard time picturing what part of the hull this is on a 19'

I might even just do the marine tex if it's not in a visible area,

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It appears to be the end of a strake, stern, under the swim platform.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats exactly where it is. Rearend of the strake. Wondering how much I should pick at it or grind it or simply fix it with epoxy...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use a Dremel to widen it slightly and fill it in with some Spectrum gel coat repair stuff. That looks small enough that one of the small jars should do it plenty. I would say this is a small and non-urgent job.... And probably a good place to start learning gel coat. These look like just non-structural stress cracks to me. Maybe something got bumped or something. A good training ground for you!