• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Ballast Settings for Wake Surfing

Kevin Kidd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a new 2018 212X with no modes (all stock). I am looking for recommendations for the best Ballast settings for a stock boat and to tune in the wake best for surfing.

I know I can modify the boat with wedges, gate, .. but since the boat is so new, I want to leave it as is for now and get the best settings.

Have you found that is best to fill all the ballasts, or do something 100%, 25%, 85% ?

Tlubbs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Was curious what you have discovered on this?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR240 may be a little different but the concept will be very similar. The key to surfing any Yamaha is to get the boat to list surf side. That is what is really going to increase the wake size. Fill the rear surf side ballast to 100%, with minimal to none on the other rear. Sit everyone on board on the surf side to help. If you get the rear corner of the swim deck under water then you're doing alright. Filling the center ballast might lengthen the wake, but it may pull weight away from the back corner where it's most needed. You can use it to dial things in.

With no shaper, booster or vectors the wake is going to be a little sloppy from jet wash. Get your rider up and find your desired speed. From there adjust the throttles by backing off the surf side and bumping up the other to help cut back on jet wash. It may also help to perform a gradual turn surf side to list the boat even further and favor the surf side wake. 🤙

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Stock ballast on these boats will not cut it if you are over 120 pounds. Best advice I can give you is fill center locker full, and then the surf side bag full. Put your friends on that side and make a slight turn into the direction of the surfer.

If you feel like you want more we have custom transom bags that work great with your boat.

*edit* @J-RAD beat me too it.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Kevin Kidd & @Tlubbs, what do you have for boards? A fast board is also a huge benefit.

Also, just have fun or there... you don't have to go ropeless to have fun, it's just more fun... Talk to @jcyamaharider when you want to step up your game. I've got some great boards I can hook you up with, including the Slingshot Coaster.