• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Hull - Rough Water

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_20180325-114427.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_20180325-114623.png

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can pretty much assume any dead rise listed on a spec sheet will be at the transom. The reason its listed there is it usually the least degree of angle of the hull usually the further forward you move the degree increases. I'm not sure what boat you have so I couldn't really comment much on that with out knowing the boat and model what the mfg spec sheet says and how you determined it was different from the spec sheet.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I will grab a tool at work to measure it if i remember and will measure my boat front middle back. Perhaps we need a little research project?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will grab a tool at work to measure it if i remember and will measure my boat front middle back. Perhaps we need a little research project?
@Speedling what are you wanting to measure? Do you have access to all three manufacturers? Maybe you can get a little sneaky at the next boat show and do some crawling around?

Aside from the number/actual deadrise angle, the new Yamaha hull "keel" is the key to the softer re-entry - when bouncing around in chop. When I was looking at a 230 to buy in 2016, @Bruce and I have had a discussion going about manufacturing one (a "keel") in a 230 hull. We dropped it, but it is an idea.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Speedling what are you wanting to measure? Do you have access to all three manufacturers? Maybe you can get a little sneaky at the next boat show and do some crawling around?

Aside from the number/actual deadrise angle, the new Yamaha hull "keel" is the key to the softer re-entry - when bouncing around in chop. When I was looking at a 230 to buy in 2016, @Bruce and I have had a discussion going about manufacturing one (a "keel") in a 230 hull. We dropped it, but it is an idea.

--
I wanna measure what my boat has exactly front middle and back and then we can start comparing models and brands. I bet the difference is very little but i am curious!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There deeper the v, and the longer the boat, the better they handle waves. I've been in lots of boats.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
There deeper the v, and the longer the boat, the better they handle waves. I've been in lots of boats.
Agreed, but they all advertise 20 degrees, and the same length so....?
I guess the keel can act as a slightly deeper v, the 255 is a bit longer, and a bit heavier.
As i was thinking about this a lot has to do with how it comes back down off a wave just as much as it cuts through. That is why the front angles matter so much as well. If the front has a steeper angle on brand x than brand y it will cut through better, and have a softer landing.
Another thing is how the water splashes off the bow when landing.
My favorite again is the carolina flare style boats. They push water away amazingly!
2nd boat in this video shows how the style hull works well
Actually the blue hull in that vid shows how that top flair really throws the water away as well.
I mean, that is a boat a bit out of my price range but still.

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Assume... but do not know for sure. I have a client that owns a local Grady White and Chap dealership, I'll give him a call tomorrow as I 'm very interested to know for sure.

That being said...the deadrise you have above on the 243 Vortex is 20 d
I guess the keel can act as a slightly deeper v, the 255 is a bit longer, and a bit heavier.
As i was thinking about this a lot has to do with how it comes back down off a wave just as much as it cuts through. That is why the front angles matter so much as well. If the front has a steeper angle on brand x than brand y it will cut through better, and have a softer landing.
My favorite again is the carolina flare style boats. They push water away amazingly!
Actually the blue hull in that vid shows how that top flair really throws the water away as well.
That is great if you guys could measure! It would be good information for everyone.
Also, they don't all have 20 deg. Chaparral claims to have a 21 deg or their boat 246.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boat.php?id=403&action=tab_specs

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

--
Awesome picture! Where is this?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Assume... but do not know for sure. I have a client that owns a local Grady White and Chap dealership, I'll give him a call tomorrow as I 'm very interested to know for sure.

That being said...the deadrise you have above on the 243 Vortex is 20 d

That is great if you guys could measure! It would be good information for everyone.
Also, they don't all have 20 deg. Chaparral claims to have a 21 deg or their boat 246.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chaparral-Boat.php?id=403&action=tab_specs
No all boats do not have 20 degree you are correct we are referring specifically to the jet boats the 246 is not a jet boat its a I/O drive.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are some bad azz boats!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I couldn't find my oversized tool. I may need to improvise. We had something made up once for doing masonry stuff. Doesn't seem to exist anymore