• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Marine wiring butt connector I have ever seen

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Edit- Warning - BEWARE. These suck for the average Joe. Just had the need to use one of these on site fixing something on my sister in laws car. The solder did not melt using a heat gun. Tested more back at home after I finished the job another way. The only way I could get he solder to melt was using my SMD solder and hotair rework station with a precision tip on the hot air tool. BEWARE!

Came across these on Amazon yesterday and clicked buy right away. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0EZBYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71aWugD198L._SY450_.jpg 71fG4kud2iL._SY450_.jpg 71Rh2f8lINL._SY450_.jpg

Very slick! Soldered, insulated, waterproofed, and glued all in one easy step with a heat gun. Personally I may still flux but wish I had known about these a long time ago. Wish they made the same thing in a T style. Perhaps I am just late to the party but figured I would share as there have been some discussions that included wiring recently.

Last edited:

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
added to my cart. thanks!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is brilliant. I would want a three-way version of that for sure, or a hybrid with two different AWG gauges.
Wonder if it could be activated with an all-weather type lighter in tight spaces? The heat gun I own is the size of a hair dryer or so, may not be ideal in tight spaces.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Haven't tried the solder filled ones yet, but the crimp and heat ones I've used exclusively for years now. Check out del-city for a quality selection.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting......I would like your feedback after you use them. My concern is the low temp solder. Does it grip enough? Things in S Florida reach 100 degrees easily.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Warning! BEWARE! Solder is not easy to melt. I edited my original post so see details there. Guess I should test new products before I post them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What encases the solder so that it doesn't flow all over the place? Doesn't that melt?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is clear shrink tubing. The trick is to focusing the heat on the solder part and once the solder mets to work out to the sides. A standard heat gun nozzel will not work. At least it did not for me.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We use those at work all the time...Environmental splices. our heat gun has a tip that brings the output air down to about 3/8" that concentrates the heat enough to melt the solder.

Skip to 6:00 for the heating.

better one.

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What encases the solder so that it doesn't flow all over the place? Doesn't that melt?
The heat shrink does. The solder will flow into the wiring and the seals keep it encased.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have used these and love them. Agreed the solder is a little hard to melt. I also used my solder and heat gun station. I don’t remember the temperature I had the heat gun set to though.

BigBlueJeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't marine grade connectors have to keep salt water from entering the heat shrink? Usually that's with an adhesive lined heat shrink connector. If this is just regular heat shrink I feel like water will enter and corrode connection. I use marine grade/adhesive lined crimp connector (Del City mentioned above is good source, Weytech too, West Marine if you want to pay a lot) and then use adhesive lined heat shrink on top of that to seal each end. In addition to the type of heat shrink a good spec to know for these would be the tensile strength and compare to a good quality crimp connector using a good quality ratcheting crimping tool.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These do have an adhesive in them. It is the colored ring in the clear tubing. You do not crimp the tubing. I picked a connector that I could slide up the wire and that allowed me to twist the wires together. Then slid the connector back over the spliced part before I heated it up to melt the solder in the connector. I then applied the heat to the solder part first to get it to melt before the rest of the heat shrink shrunk tight to allow the solder to spread completely. After cooling it seemed a very solid joint!