• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best storage fuel stabilizer / ethanol protection

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok getting close to winterizing season --- boat sits for about 6 months last year added a bottle of marine 360 stabilizer ( blue bottle ) seemed to work fine last year .. but after watching some videos on it does it really protect from ethanol ?? thoughts ? what has worked best .. thanks

These questions will get you opinions like buttholes, everyone will have one. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them. If it worked for you last year, it will work again.

As 99% of us have no way of testing if it did anything or not. We are at the mercy of the marketing giants. Just understand, that in the spring, there will be some phase separation no matter what. Get some ISO in there to break down the water molecules and keep adding fresh fuel. These engines can take quite a bit of Ethanol as they are designed to but none of them like water. But water, needs to be broken down so that it passed through the combustion chamber. That being said, the amount of water will be so minimal, it will not be an issue.

You don't hear the horror stories as much these days like we did in the old carbed engine days. Anyone with those uber strong opinions cannot for the life of them share a story like that with a current engine of the past decade. Unless someone did something totally stupid like leaving their gas cap off in a rain storm (like I did)

Follow the guidelines by the MFG, or what you have read and don't fret it. Good luck,

I either use Stabil or SeaFoam in everything towards the end of the seasons & never had issues. Boats, snowmobile, tractors, string trimmer, chain saws, leaf blower, mowers and everything else that sits for months has only had ethanol blended fuel though it and when I get it out after sitting all is good.

i guess just add a bottle and full tank to rim ....

has anyone used/ tried k-100 ?

I've used Stabil over the years and never an issue. Our winter storage is usually 4-6 months. That includes the years we had the Yamaha and ran standard pump gas 99% of the time and still no issue. Stabil worked for us so we stuck with it.

Last edited:
I typically use stabil, and was really religious when I was using ethanol gas in my last boat.
When I bought my current boat, I swore to never use E fuel again. The last trip to the dealer with my last boat cost me a fuel filter housing at the tank, and one on the outboard. Boat was stored indoors all year. The big filter by the tank had rusted to the housing. Boat was only 7 years old with around 150 hours on it.

My mother in law finally returned 3 of my gas cans after 2 years of sitting in plastic shed. Those were full of non-e. This was for a hurricane prep, they lost power, we didn't so I took all the fuel I had to her. I am almost out of that gas, been running it in my lawnmower and 4 stroke weed eater without a hiccup.

Is it necessary, who knows.

This one

10 years with the red version
10 years with this one
8 months a year the boat sits :oops:
no issues

stabilmarineboatet_0a475_stabil_22240__1.jpg

oh .. one more question on winterization .... fuel vent screw open or close ? thanks

I used the Stabil marine last winter and this spring she fired right up. I will do the same this year.

13 years same boat. sometimes stabil, sometimes nothing, sometimes full tank sometimes sometimes not. never ethanol free gas.

Tell how good Stabil works - I keep 12 60g gas tanks in storage (for our generator, we tend to lose power 2-3x a year). I fill those up with premium non ethanol, treat with Stabil. Then I rotate them out and burn the oldest tanks through my mower/blower/snowblower/etc.. Current tank of gasoline was filled up in 2015 - shit runs like a champ in both two and four stroke engines.

So red stabil, or the blue marine kind? How much, if any difference is there?

Stabil for the past 7 years, always a partial tank and never more than 15 gallons during storage always starts with no issue in the spring

fuel vent screw ? open or close for winter ?

oh .. one more question on winterization .... fuel vent screw open or close ? thanks
I don't think there's anything in the manual about adjusting the fuel vent. I looked at mine and it doesn't turn by hand...not sure it's supposed to turn. But with a cover on, nothing gets in there and I prefer the tank pressure can vary as needed. Last thing you want is a fuel line clamp to the engine bursting due to pressure buildup.

Remember, the Stabil does have a shelf life when it's been opened.
I did not know this. But it is true. According to the manufacturer, unopened bottle has a shelf life of 5 years and an opened one 2 years. You can use it after that (if there are no flakes in it), but it will only have its fuel system cleaning properties, not any of its fuel preservation properties.

Good note, @Manic Mechanic !

Back