• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

best value depth finder for an AR190?

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
anyone installing these?
I searched and found mention of a Garmin Echo map, but that seems a bit dated now.

do I need GPS? I have my phone...what do you guys recommend or think I should get.
I'm in the Sacramento area on the rivers and Delta system and shallow water comes at you out of nowhere.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a Garmin Echo 44DV for sale. PM if interested.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
i have the striker 4 plus cv. Be aware that a transom mounted transducer will not work as well at speed as a thru hull transducer. After about 10 kts, mine becomes unreliable and can't detect water beyond 100'. At certain speeds, it does not detect depth. Granted, I have yet to tri to lower it by 1/8".

I do like the striker for fishing.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After chatting with a pretty knowledgeable guy at Cabela's I decided on the Garmin Echomap 63cv. Decent price and I like that the chart plotter map has depth range shading so it's easy to see when you're getting into shallow water - as a new boater I need all the help I can get. :)

I'm having it installed today and am anxious to use it this weekend.

DRS.JPG

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Garmin 44, transducer is mounted on stern of boat and reads at all speeds and depths. I actually prefer the Navionics charts on my phone, but like the real depth reading of the Garmin. Only issue with the phone or this Garmin is the screen size is kind of small, but so is the dash area.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was gonna get one of these. Not sure I need the chartplotting capability, and I like the clean look of a gauge over a display.

I think I've seen a thread where someone figured out how to get the AR195 transducer to fit in the same spot as the AR190's speedometer, allowing depth to be read in the stock tachometer readout. That's the ultimate clean install IMO.

adamsrotors

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ super clean, but kind of a joke for the price.
I'm getting a shit load more features for the $102 Garmin.

heard the stock transducer isn't very accurate?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ super clean, but kind of a joke for the price.
I'm getting a shit load more features for the $102 Garmin.

heard the stock transducer isn't very accurate?
I think it can be found elsewhere for less. Want to say it was around $125 somewhere. I want to say that one had a water temp sensor as well.

Found it.....Depth and Water Temp for $184....found a couple on eBay for under $100, but they're used.

Still not as many features as a screened Garmin unit though. I have a deep seated desire to have fewer and fewer screens. Don't like them in my cars. Haven't had one in a boat yet, but don't really want one. I'm a dinosaur in that regard, just personal preference, clearly they're here to stay, and work just fine, I just don't like 'em.

I have no idea on the accuracy of the stock gauge/transducer. I just loved the super clean install.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s what I did in my 2019. Think I paid 3-400 for this simrad GO5

goal was to make it look factory. I put the transducer inside the hull.
DFB23432-B0BF-43E1-A6EC-725A453EDCF2.jpeg

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2019 sx190. I'm installing a Humminbird HDR650 depth gauge. I won't say it's the best value because it's only a depth gauge and isn't much cheaper than a Pirhanamax or Garmin Striker. But I really have no use for a GPS and fishfinder and, what I like about the gauge, is that it will blend in nice with the dash and won't be an eyesore (and unlike some of the other depth gauges out there, it doesn't look cheap). The other nice thing is that Humminbird will exchange the transom mount transducer with their in-hull shoot transducer free of charge.