• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Wakeboard Mod

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see there is a lot of threads about surfing. It seems to me that people enjoy tinkering and creating that perfect wave for surfing. What about wakeboarding? What was your best mod that really improved your experience with wakeboarding? I'm starting to get the hang of wakeboarding behind my AR192 and i'm curious what people are doing.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see there is a lot of threads about surfing. It seems to me that people enjoy tinkering and creating that perfect wave for surfing. What about wakeboarding? What was your best mod that really improved your experience with wakeboarding? I'm starting to get the hang of wakeboarding behind my AR192 and i'm curious what people are doing.
When I had my 190, for me it was Cobra fins (Ultimates, IIRC?). Changed the way the boat handled.
Other than that - RideSteady or any GPS cruise control that works would be a must for me. RideSteady is just the best.
I have experimented a lot with pump modes, for me it comes down to OEM impeller (in perfect shape with factory pitch) and L13 cone for me. The pump and intake tunnels need to be very well sealed, that's the key.

In the new 240 we have a custom integrated WakeMakers ballast with rear and ski locker bags, we do not use it for wakesurfing but we also take it easy and go slow, below 18-20mph. But I have had amazing wakeboarders and one guy throwing tantrums behind my boat... (it was unreal), so it is certainly possible.

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1st mod would be some type of speed control Hydro phase looks nice I had perfect pass

Take lessons from a pro they can identify ways to make you improve

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I had my 190, for me it was Cobra fins (Ultimates, IIRC?). Changed the way the boat handled.
Other than that - RideSteady or any GPS cruise control that works would be a must for me. RideSteady is just the best.
I have experimented a lot with pump modes, for me it comes down to OEM impeller (in perfect shape with factory pitch) and L13 cone for me. The pump and intake tunnels need to be very well sealed, that's the key.

In the new 240 we have a custom integrated WakeMakers ballast with rear and ski locker bags, we do not use it for wakesurfing but we also take it easy and go slow, below 18-20mph. But I have had amazing wakeboarders and one guy throwing tantrums behind my boat... (it was unreal), so it is certainly possible.

--
My friend tried last week and he has limited experience with wakeboarding. He brings his experience from surfing and he was able to jump wake-to-wake on a 75ft rope.

We have a small, traffic-free place to wakeboard, but that means a lot of turns + cavitation. This weekend i'm going to seal the pump and think about buying the L13 cone .. I know the benefits, but my 2 expensive hobbies are fighting for my wallet. I'm crying about $260, why should I spend so much $$ on a ridesteady?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why should I spend so much $$ on a ridesteady?
Because it will change your life and save your (current and/or future) marriage!

Seriously though, it is almost impossible to hold the speed steady manually (or with the factory RPM assist) especially if pulling a strong boarder behind our light boats.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Because it will change your life and save your (current and/or future) marriage!

Seriously though, it is almost impossible to hold the speed steady manually (or with the factory RPM assist) especially if pulling a strong boarder behind our light boats.

It sounds really useful, but the price is high.. No amount of wakeboarding will save my future marriage if I don't save for a house!

I checked the pump tunnel. There was a small gap on the pump shoe and no sealant on the intake grate. I smoothed everything with 5200 and I am well aware i'll need a razor blade to remove it later.

Whats the consensus on ballast? Helpful for wakeboarding?

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Absolutely ballast for wakeboarding. Weight is what puts the wake in wakeboarding.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My ar230 is pretty damn good bone stock with no ballast, but I'm not hucking air rallys and tantrums. What specifically are you looking to improve?

Brian McIver

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

FedEx just dropped a new Ridesteady at the house today for the 212 Lim S. Can’t wait to get going on it.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wakeboard behind my 195, went out with 8 people and the ski locker filled with ice/drinks. It was miserable getting the boat to plane but it made a fantastic wake. I would/will be definitely get the center locker ballast. I was able to get enough air to sneak in a board grab on a wake to wake jump. Its my second season so I'm still progressing