• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bike Carrier while towing boat

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I figured if anyone knew the answer to this question, it has to be someone on this forum... I have a 2009 Suburban and tow a 2010 212X. We are coming camping in 10 days (time sensitive request), and my kids have informed me they want to take their bikes, probably just two bikes for this trip. I do own a Thule 5-bike apex carrier which connects to the hitch receiver and extends about 43" beyond the bolt. Which begs me to answer... how do I safely transport these bikes???

A few different options have presented themselves, none of the options which I love so far.

1) Buy a double receiver, and use my existing Thule Apex 5 bike carrier rack. The problem is that it would appear it will extend to far beyond the truck and either come in contact with the boat or at least potentially affect it when backing up or turning. Cost of a really good double receiver is about $100.

2) Fit a hitch receiver behind on the trailer and use my Thule bike carrier beyind the boat.... but after looking at the trailer, this doesn't really appear to be a solid option.

3) Buy a trunk-mounted carrier that also opens wider and allows for use on a hatch. I really don't like the idea of straps running everywhere and potentially scratching the hatch everytime I install the carrier.

4) Buy a roof-rack bike system, but not sure how easy that would be to get a bike on the top of the suburban. With the two kids bikes, it may be okay, but I also don't want to buy something specifically for this trip that I will never use again.

In the future I can see taking the boat on trips, where we may want to take five bikes as well. Someone here has to have crossed this bridge successfully already! My existing Thule Apex 5 and the double receiver I considered are posted below. Thoughts???

thule apex 5.jpgroadmaster dual receiver.jpg

With each extension, linkage, you reduce your effective towing capacity and tongue weight. Not to mention the concerns with turning radius' and other pertinent clearances. I would not recommend the the double receiver hitch set up for those two KEY reasons. One thing to consider is a CURT Front mount receiver hitch. . . .http://www.carid.com/1988-chevy-ck-...1641881.html?gclid=CKfd0NC--L8CFc1i7Aod6mYAbQ

I have one on my 05' Expedition. . . . . which mounts in between the farm and the tow hooks. From a functionality perspective it would work for your application, but is also a GREAT way to park the boat in tight places.

What I did was build a custom bike rack and weld it to an extended hitch that fits in the receiver of my truck. That way we can haul 4 mountain bikes and the boat when we go camping. Cam.

ps the receiver in my Tundra had such a sloppy fit that I had to run arc 2 weld beads down the top and side of all my hitches then grind them to fit. Nice and tight now but horribly noisy when stock.

@0627Devildog I understand what you mean regards to the linkages. Here is my thought though, I currently use a heavy-duty adjustable drawbar (so it basically has one pin to control the height of the drop). And in looking around, especially at heavier duty landscape trailers, this seems to be a very standard set up, because it always enables you to have a level trailer.

If I was to replace my adjustable drawbar, with the 10,000 lb roadmaster dual receiver, and a set height/fixed drawbar… My number of linkages would remain the same.

I would still have to assemble it all, to understand if it would affect the turning radius, but at least it would give me an option to use a hitch mounted bike carrier.

I would still be curious to hear if anyone has used a roof rack, upright bike carrier on a suburban… And how you got the bikes on top without damaging yourself for your vehicle!

@0627Devildog I understand what you mean regards to the linkages. Here is my thought though, I currently use a heavy-duty adjustable drawbar (so it basically has one pin to control the height of the drop). And in looking around, especially at heavier duty landscape trailers, this seems to be a very standard set up, because it always enables you to have a level trailer.

If I was to replace my adjustable drawbar, with the 10,000 lb roadmaster dual receiver, and a set height/fixed drawbar… My number of linkages would remain the same.

I would still have to assemble it all, to understand if it would affect the turning radius, but at least it would give me an option to use a hitch mounted bike carrier.

I would still be curious to hear if anyone has used a roof rack, upright bike carrier on a suburban… And how you got the bikes on top without damaging yourself for your vehicle!

I used a roof mount (Yakima) that had a gas piston lift system, that lifts the bike up using something like the gas pistons on your engine compartment door. You still have to get up there to strap it into place. That was on an 08' Denali. Big Bucks though from what I was told.

Personally I would not feel comfortable doing anything that changes the way the boat trailer hooks up to the tow vehicle so an extension which places the bikes between the truck and boat would be out for me. If I thought this was a one time or annual thing or I just needed more time to do something permanent I'd consider carrying the bikes inside the boat (properly secured and padded of course) and I'd use a cargo net instead of a cover while towing. I've done this before and it worked fine.

For a permanent solution my preference would be to weld (actually have someone weld) a receiver, probably a 1.25" instead of a 2" to the back of the boat trailer so I could use a bike mount that fits into it.

This may not fly with your family, but I'd just leave the bikes at home and save yourself the headache and extra expense. A lot of times we go camping in our camper and I haul the bikes and they never leave the rack. I have a bumper mounted 4 bike carrier on the camper.

have you looked into installing a receiver on the front of your truck? That's how I would do it when my son was younger and we went on camping trips with his cub scout pack. (I always got volunteered to tow the pack trailer).

http://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2009_Chevrolet_Suburban.htm

65023_2006~Chevrolet~Silverado_1_1000.jpg

I forgot about the front hitch alternative. These are on my tow vehicles and cost between $150 and $200 each. Self install is the way to go. They also make backing the boat into a spot a lot easier.

Our annual trip to the family cabin in Idaho "requires" us to bring bikes and the boat (last month we had 34 people, and 20 bikes amongst us all - but none of my kids wants to be the one without a bike)- so for the last few years, I've put between 3 and 5 bikes in the middle of the boat, usually with a few sleeping bags or pillows packed around to minimize slop ... no harm ...

We had a front mount hitch system that was great for bikes on our motorhome

Back