• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge coming off plane

Steve73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 AR190. Looking for some help trouble shooting... This weekend we trailered the boat to our normal spot. We cruised out to the island we go to hang at, about 20 minutes of riding on plane. As I came off plane and turned towards the island, I noticed the bilge kick on for about 20 seconds and pump water out. When we got to the island, I checked the ski locker (I always keep the drain plug of the locker out), and it had a decent amount of water in it, maybe 2-3 inches. No one had been in the water. 4 adults on board. I had everyone stand on the swim deck and I turned on the bilge and it pumped the water out. Same thing happened on the way back to the dock. Got to the dock and noticed water in the the ski locker and we kicked on the bilge pump and it pumped out water for a good 30 seconds. Any ideas how the water is getting in? Any tests or checks I should perform? Should I keep the locker plugged? It seems the water is backing up into the locker. it's definitely not anchor water and we didn't take any water over the bow. I do notice I always have a full amount of water in my clean out port at the end of the day... Thanks in advance.

You need to see if the water in the bilge is warm or cooler like the lake water. If it's warm, you have a leak in the cooling system. If it's cold then you have a leak somewhere in the back.

Thanks, good tip. I will feel the water temp next time out. Does anyone know if the AR190 has a bilge pump in the exhaust area next to the clean out port? Or just in the engine compartment?

2018 AR190. Looking for some help trouble shooting... This weekend we trailered the boat to our normal spot. We cruised out to the island we go to hang at, about 20 minutes of riding on plane. As I came off plane and turned towards the island, I noticed the bilge kick on for about 20 seconds and pump water out. When we got to the island, I checked the ski locker (I always keep the drain plug of the locker out), and it had a decent amount of water in it, maybe 2-3 inches. No one had been in the water. 4 adults on board. I had everyone stand on the swim deck and I turned on the bilge and it pumped the water out. Same thing happened on the way back to the dock. Got to the dock and noticed water in the the ski locker and we kicked on the bilge pump and it pumped out water for a good 30 seconds. Any ideas how the water is getting in? Any tests or checks I should perform? Should I keep the locker plugged? It seems the water is backing up into the locker. it's definitely not anchor water and we didn't take any water over the bow. I do notice I always have a full amount of water in my clean out port at the end of the day... Thanks in advance.
Another way to get water in the bilge is coming off plane quickly and your wake washes over your swim deck. Hot water like @Babin Farms states is the first check.

I believe it's just in the engine compartment,

is this the first time you used it this year ?
have you checked the oil since then ??
we had a 190 member a few years ago have a cracked manifold after a freeze, it sent water into the oil but also would spray a fine mist out underneath the manifold exhaust,

great reason for an back up bilge pump and a high water alarm,

yes first time out this year. Oil was changed, but I did not check it before going out. I will check it tonight. What should I look for? Low oil levels? Would I be able to see the crack in the manifold anywhere?

Want to add my two cents in here. Yamaha (at least in 2017) used a cheap (read rust magnet) metal pinch clamp on the hose at the Y fitting for inbound water coming from the pump, the flush kit hose which go to the engine. If that clamp is no longer working you could be getting water seepage there. Lastly and I know I'll get stink-eye for this comment: Are the drain plugs at the rear FULLY TIGHTENED? I traced my own wayward water conditions explained almost verbatim as the original poster stated and it was the drain plugs. I know it's obvious but they had to be screwed in till they bottomed out. Unexplained water in the bilge is a thing of the past.

Engine Cooling Lines.jpg

oil will be like a chocolate milkshake color, not just golden or blackish "oil"

his crack was on the underside, we didn't even know it was there until he ran the boat at speed and it sprayed directly down,

At this point I'd more guess you had a bad clamp or bad hose than a freeze issue, open the engine hatch and remove the cleanout manhole cover to look into the bilge and make sure it's dry, then run it on the hose to inspect for leaks,

if it stays dry at home take it the water and run it looking for water, being aware you have an issue is half the battle, when we surf the bilge runs alot because of the rub rail/rear cleat being underwater, I know/expect the bilge to pump, if it's not I start questioning what's going on,

Yamaha recommends all the drain plugs be closed while on the water, but I know not everyone here agrees with that. I find the drain plug in the ski locker to be an entry point of water while on the water.

Yamaha recommends all the drain plugs be closed while on the water, but I know not everyone here agrees with that. I find the drain plug in the ski locker to be an entry point of water while on the water.

How do you mean an entry point? Just what comes off of people dripping over it or gear?

Another way to get water in the bilge is coming off plane quickly and your wake washes over your swim deck. Hot water like @Babin Farms states is the first check.
I've tried to make this happen......I can't get my AR190 to splash like that.

More accurately, water runs up backwards through the cleanout drain, then seeps past the cleanout panel. Even then it's minor.

@Steve73
If the water is warm, it's likely coming from the freezeout plug on the exhaust manifold. Mine leaks from that area. Anything over ~6k rpm and I get warm water in the bilge. Bilge kicks on when I come off plane, as while on plane the water is all on the rear of the hull. The factory bilge pump is NOT the lowest point in the hull while on plane, or while off plane. That is what it doesn't pump out while moving, and why the ski locker fills when stationary.

I've just learned to accept it. This will be the 4th season with the issue, and I've yet to find a problem other than a little water in the boat. Since I trailer the boat everywhere the bilge is dry by the time I get home anyway, and it's not enough water to sink the boat, so I try my best to ignore it. If I get into the motor for some other reason I'll fix the issue, but until then, meh. It's fine.

How do you mean an entry point? Just what comes off of people dripping over it or gear?
I've sat in the rain for a few hours before. Ski locker filled with runoff from the deck. To the point it was nearly knee deep in there. Opened the ski locker drain and let it into the bilge, got to ~8mph and got the nose up to drain it to the back and let the pump do as best of a job as it could.

In the event the boat was the swamp, there is a premise that the ski locker could provide flotation as a sealed compartment. Perhaps that is what he is talking about? I can tell you from experience the seals are NOT that capable in factory configuration.

we had a 190 member a few years ago have a cracked manifold after a freeze, it sent water into the oil but also would spray a fine mist out underneath the manifold exhaust,

I think this was @B0at1n

I've sat in the rain for a few hours before. Ski locker filled with runoff from the deck. To the point it was nearly knee deep in there. Opened the ski locker drain and let it into the bilge, got to ~8mph and got the nose up to drain it to the back and let the pump do as best of a job as it could.

In the event the boat was the swamp, there is a premise that the ski locker could provide flotation as a sealed compartment. Perhaps that is what he is talking about? I can tell you from experience the seals are NOT that capable in factory configuration.

I get that from a rain as well, I just wondered if it was something that was continually happening outside of rain and typical stuff draining like clothes and gear. Perhaps I misunderstood.

oil will be like a chocolate milkshake color, not just golden or blackish "oil"

his crack was on the underside, we didn't even know it was there until he ran the boat at speed and it sprayed directly down,

At this point I'd more guess you had a bad clamp or bad hose than a freeze issue, open the engine hatch and remove the cleanout manhole cover to look into the bilge and make sure it's dry, then run it on the hose to inspect for leaks,

if it stays dry at home take it the water and run it looking for water, being aware you have an issue is half the battle, when we surf the bilge runs alot because of the rub rail/rear cleat being underwater, I know/expect the bilge to pump, if it's not I start questioning what's going on,

Some good tests for me to perform here. Thanks. If rub rail/rear cleat is in the water why would you expect the bilge to run? Everyone was sitting in the back of the boat and my friend snapped this pic. Hard to tell if the rear cleat was in the water or not…

Attachments

• 2DD29CF1-C767-41E2-948F-63BC98C14D0C.jpeg
    2DD29CF1-C767-41E2-948F-63BC98C14D0C.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 22
Could be something as simple as the transom plug letting water seep by very slowly.

I've tried to make this happen......I can't get my AR190 to splash like that.

More accurately, water runs up backwards through the cleanout drain, then seeps past the cleanout panel. Even then it's minor.

@Steve73
If the water is warm, it's likely coming from the freezeout plug on the exhaust manifold. Mine leaks from that area. Anything over ~6k rpm and I get warm water in the bilge. Bilge kicks on when I come off plane, as while on plane the water is all on the rear of the hull. The factory bilge pump is NOT the lowest point in the hull while on plane, or while off plane. That is what it doesn't pump out while moving, and why the ski locker fills when stationary.

I've just learned to accept it. This will be the 4th season with the issue, and I've yet to find a problem other than a little water in the boat. Since I trailer the boat everywhere the bilge is dry by the time I get home anyway, and it's not enough water to sink the boat, so I try my best to ignore it. If I get into the motor for some other reason I'll fix the issue, but until then, meh. It's fine.
Where can I find the freeze out plug on the the exhaust manifold? To test this, should I run it with the hatch open next time I am out? Will I see water spraying then?

Could be something as simple as the transom plug letting water seep by very slowly.
Yeah could be. @HawaiiBreeze suggested that as well. I had them snug, but I suppose I could have gone tighter. Do you guys crank those things as hand tight as you can? No worry of damaging the seal ring?

I do mine by hand and you can just feel the plastic tang in your fingers start to bend when you hit it full snug. Also look out for sand and debris stuck in/around the O-Rings. I would expect that after a while those too will dry up and need to be replaced.

If rub rail/rear cleat is in the water why would you expect the bilge to run? Everyone was sitting in the back of the boat and my friend snapped this pic. Hard to tell if the rear cleat was in the water or not…

on my boat, the cleats are retractable (not sealed) so water leaks in, on many boats the rub rail isn't sealed well and can also allow water into your boat,

again at this point I think you should look at all your fittings/clamps and then next time out start being aware, let it sit at the dock for 15 minutes and see if any water is visible through the manhole cover, then get up to speed and I'd feel under your manifold or put a towel (if it's dry to start with) under it,

Back