• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge coming off plane

The drain plug in the ski locker goes to the hull. If there is water in the hull, lower than the factory bilge pump can reach, it can come up through an open drain plug. This would happen after a boat comes off of plane and the water in the hull moves to the center of the boat. This is another reason why many choose to add a second pump lower in the bilge. Those who have done so will probably not experience this.
How do you mean an entry point? Just what comes off of people dripping over it or gear?

The drain plug in the ski locker goes to the hull. If there is water in the hull, lower than the factory bilge pump can reach, it can come up through an open drain plug. This would happen after a boat comes off of plane and the water in the hull moves to the center of the boat. This is another reason why many choose to add a second pump lower in the bilge. Those who have done so will probably not experience this.

I know where the drain plug goes from the ski locker. I also understand the second bilge pump since I have one in the back compartment. Before the second bilge pump water never came up through my ski locker, but I added for extra protection when I am out in the Great Lakes. What I was asking is if water was coming in another way, into your ski locker, it wasn't clear.

I know where the drain plug goes from the ski locker. I also understand the second bilge pump since I have one in the back compartment. Before the second bilge pump water never came up through my ski locker, but I added for extra protection when I am out in the Great Lakes. What I was asking is if water was coming in another way, into your ski locker, it wasn't clear.
No. Water is definitely coming into the ski locker via back flushing up through the drain plug. On the way back to the dock I witnessed it when I left the ski locker open and saw it coming up. After reading comments here and looking at how the drains connect I’m pretty sure the water is back flushing up through the rear hatch tray table drain, fills up my clean out port, then flows down into the rear compartment and coming off plane it back flushes up to the ski locker. Next time out I will be checking the bilge water temp and checking out the rear compartment under the hatch to see how much water is in there. I will peek in the rear compartment before we leave the dock to make sure it’s not a slow leak from the drain plugs either. Appreciate everyone’s input so far. Feel free to add if anything else to check.

With our 195 we used to get water intrusion like you are experiencing. The access panel under the swim deck door next to the clean out plug is poorly sealed. Even if it isn't the cause I would suggest sealing it or getting the standoff kit from JetBoatPilot.

The area under the ski locker drain connects to the real bilge area, under the engine compartment with those drains to the real bilge. That water will be let out when you pull the transom drain plug on the hard (land). Water will stay in the bilge moving back and forth depending on the pitch of the hull. You want to turn on your bilge pump while the boat is in the water. You also want to get the bow up to make the water down there flow aft towards the pump. The pump sits over a hole in the engine compartment which is higher than the real bilge, so you will never get all the water out until you get on the trailer. Until then get in the boat, put any passengers in the stern seating, not bow seating. Accelerate the boat slowly which will bring the bow up, just before you get on plane will be the highest point. This changes the angle of the hull and the water flows aft. If you have enough water down there you will see it expelled out the starboard side aft. This should pump out enough so it will not back flow into the ski locker while afloat again, but there will be some water down there until you haul out.

Last edited:
With our 195 we used to get water intrusion like you are experiencing. The access panel under the swim deck door next to the clean out plug is poorly sealed. Even if it isn't the cause I would suggest sealing it or getting the standoff kit from JetBoatPilot.
standoff kit? Can you send a link?

The area under the ski locker drain connects to the real bilge area, under the engine compartment with those drains to the real bilge. That water will be let out when you pull the transom drain plug on the hard (land). Water will stay in the bilge moving back and forth depending on the pitch of the hull. You want to turn on your bilge pump while the boat is in the water. You also want to get the bow up to make the water down there flow aft towards the pump. The pump sits over a hole in the engine compartment which is higher than the real bilge, so you will never get all the water out until you get on the trailer. Until then get in the boat, put any passengers in the stern seating, not bow seating. Accelerate the boat slowly which will bring the bow up, just before you get on plane will be the highest point. This changes the angle of the hull and the water flows aft. If you have enough water down there you will see it expelled out the starboard side aft. This should pump out enough so it will not back flow into the ski locker while afloat again, but there will be some water down there until you haul out.
Thanks! Once I confirm my theory, and I try to better seal the rear hatch, if I am still getting water down there, I think it makes sense then I should plug my ski locker to prevent this water from back flushing up, keeping it in the rear and more likely to pump out. We don't keep much down there, so if I ever need to drain it I can easily access the plug and to open it up.

Yup, that's it. If you look close I bet you would be surprised how ill fitting that factory mount and cover are!

Doesn’t look like that riser will work for the AR190. But I did notice I am missing two screws (probably from the prior owner). So that is definitely letting water in. Some silicone around the edges will help too.

Attachments

• 4B2929B1-7DCA-4836-BE23-2EAFF39BA646.jpeg
    4B2929B1-7DCA-4836-BE23-2EAFF39BA646.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Yup, that's it. If you look close I bet you would be surprised how ill fitting that factory mount and cover are!
On my 242, all of the equivalent areas shown in the screenshot were poorly sealed from the factory (near the top of the cleanout tube(s) and the base areas of the hatch (stock hatch on mine). I had water ingress to the lower bilge in those areas. Dealer resealed. Much better now and I make sure to keep a little yamaha grease on the cleanout plugs and the drainplug o-ring/gasket.
1650984818565.png

I didn't notice you had a pre 2019. They switched the access panel that year with the redesign. Those 2 round covers are your access ports. Probably sealed with a rubber oring. I would make sure those are sealed and if you are missing see screws I would suggest removing them all, and resealing the whole plate with silicone before replacing the screws.

Doesn’t look like that riser will work for the AR190. But I did notice I am missing two screws (probably from the prior owner). So that is definitely letting water in. Some silicone around the edges will help too.
Use removeable caulk if your going that route otherwise it's a pain to get regular caulk to break free

Also, unscrew one or both of those inspection ports, look in/under and make sure that the big hose clamp at the top of the clean out plug tube sealing it to that tray is there and tight. If PO took off the sealed clean out tray it could be loose. I just used a marine silicone compound to reseal the tray around the edge.

Last edited:
Back