• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump Glue?

JAPTV

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Can anyone identify the glue that is used to secure this Bilge Pump to the Scarab hull? And, what is the trick solvent to dissolve it? I need to replace the dead pump.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm assuming it's epoxy. But I'm not aware of anything that will dissolve it. I think you'll need to use mechanical means to remove it.

I assume you're replacing it with a different type? I had to replace mine as well, but I ended up just replacing the motor/sensor portion and kept everything glued in place. Made it easy to replace. But I made it a point to buy the same pump.

JAPTV

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I'm assuming it's epoxy. But I'm not aware of anything that will dissolve it. I think you'll need to use mechanical means to remove it.

I assume you're replacing it with a different type? I had to replace mine as well, but I ended up just replacing the motor/sensor portion and kept everything glued in place. Made it easy to replace. But I made it a point to buy the same pump.
Thanks Luc! Guess I will chip away at it? I ordered the same pump, which will arrive in two days. You point out an excellent idea. Maybe I will be able to swap the innards as you did? Do you have any tips on that process?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yep. I'm a "pro" when it comes to this bilge pump. lol Early on, there were issues with it that nobody seemed to understand. I solved them then. Point is, yes.

If you're getting the same pump, it's a very easy job. The sensor/pump side (the half towards the BOW of the boat) comes off with a simple CCW twist. You can do that now. Just unscrew that end and pull straight out. That's where all the electronics are. Leave the glue, the mounting bracket and the intake in the boat.

Make sure your battery is disconnected, then cut the the wires near the pump. Get your new pump and take out just the same part out of the box. Splice it to the same wires using waterproof butt connectors like these (Canadian link here, careful): AIRIC Heat Shrink Butt Connectors 100pcs 22-16AWG Waterproof Butt Connector Heat Shrink Marine Automotive Electrical Straight Wire Crimp Connectors Red, Terminals & Kits - Amazon Canada

Crimp the wires, heat them to make it completely water tight, and screw the pump back into the same bracket. Done.

After reconnecting the battery to the pump, I'd recommend testing it manually with the switch, but also testing the auto pump feature. Close the drain plugs and dump some water in there until it covers the pump and it auto pumps out. Just to ensure everything is working well.

While you're down there, the intake side can be rotated and even pulled off. It's just held with an o ring. Pull the intake straight out and it will come off. Make sure there's no debris and reinstall.

JAPTV

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yep. I'm a "pro" when it comes to this bilge pump. lol Early on, there were issues with it that nobody seemed to understand. I solved them then. Point is, yes.

If you're getting the same pump, it's a very easy job. The sensor/pump side (the half towards the BOW of the boat) comes off with a simple CCW twist. You can do that now. Just unscrew that end and pull straight out. That's where all the electronics are. Leave the glue, the mounting bracket and the intake in the boat.

Make sure your battery is disconnected, then cut the the wires near the pump. Get your new pump and take out just the same part out of the box. Splice it to the same wires using waterproof butt connectors like these (Canadian link here, careful): AIRIC Heat Shrink Butt Connectors 100pcs 22-16AWG Waterproof Butt Connector Heat Shrink Marine Automotive Electrical Straight Wire Crimp Connectors Red, Terminals & Kits - Amazon Canada

Crimp the wires, heat them to make it completely water tight, and screw the pump back into the same bracket. Done.

After reconnecting the battery to the pump, I'd recommend testing it manually with the switch, but also testing the auto pump feature. Close the drain plugs and dump some water in there until it covers the pump and it auto pumps out. Just to ensure everything is working well.

While you're down there, the intake side can be rotated and even pulled off. It's just held with an o ring. Pull the intake straight out and it will come off. Make sure there's no debris and reinstall.
Awesome! Sounds much better than chipping away. Already checked the intake side and removed it when troubleshooting. Thank you for the prompt, in-depth guidance.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
No prob. Let me know if you have any follow up questions. On the bilge or the boat. Happy to help. PM me through the conversation option here or via facebook (although it's down right now apparently) at https://www.facebook.com/lafreniere.luc for quicker back/forth.