• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump in engine compartment?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can someone explain why my '08 212X has a bilge pump in the engine compartment, not in the bilge? I've been trying to noodle my head around this and I've seen a few threads mention it, but can't find anything that says why Yamaha did this or how it works.

I would think that putting it in the engine tray is the worst place to put it. If there's significant water in there, there's probably already hundreds of gallons in the actual bilge/hull. What am I missing here?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I noticed this a while back when hanging with a SX230. His was as far aft as possible, ours is in the engine compartment. Regardless, I have had my bilge run while underway or afloat....and once pulled from the water nothing from the drain plug. either our boats have a different low point or perhaps its flatter back there than the visual makes you believe.

Some folks add a second bilge back there, I was starting to work towards that when I figured its not necessary. even filling the boat on a flat driveway it seems to work just fine at its current location..........easier to fix/replace too.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The bilge in the 240 series only holds about 5 or 6 gallons of water. I have filled my bilge while in the driveway to check for leaks in my ballast pick up. I let it back up into the engine compartment, then used a bucket to drain it, to see how much the bilge holds.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The bilge in the 240 series only holds about 5 or 6 gallons of water. I have filled my bilge while in the driveway to check for leaks in my ballast pick up. I let it back up into the engine compartment, then used a bucket to drain it, to see how much the bilge holds.
Good to know. But how does the water get from the bilge to the pump on our boats? Is there a hole in the bottom of the engine compartment under the pump?

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, there is a hole in the far back of the engine compartment that leads to the bilge.