• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge Pump issues

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to boating and recently purchased a 2012 Yamaha SX240. I launched her the other day, and noticed that the red light did not come on when I flipped the bilge pump rocker switch. I left it in the on position, but upon arriving back at my dock, I noticed that nothing seemed to be happening when I toggled between on and off. I.e I could not hear the bilge pump switching on and off.
My boat is kept in the water in a covered slip. I hooked up my batteries to an electrical outlet and left the bilge switch in the on position. How do I know whether it is working or not? I'm thinking it could be a blown fuse as I know that those red lights on the rocker panels go out fairly often, but how do I check? If it is a blown fuse, where do I change it on the boat? Or does the boat have to come out of the water? I'm stumped on this one, and I've checked the engine Bay and there seems to be hardly any water in it despite a few hours on the lake and 48 hours in the slip. Could the pump be working and it only makes a noise when it actually cycles on to pump water?
Thanks for your help

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check the circuit breaker next to the switch for the bilge pump. I've read some posts where members have had circuit breakers go bad. You'll need a multimeter or test light to check the breaker.

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the circuit breaker next to the switch for the bilge pump. I've read some posts where members have had circuit breakers go bad. You'll need a multimeter or test light to check the breaker.
Ok thanks Bill. I meant to add that pressing the circuit breaker reset didn't change anything also...

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Assuming the circuit breaker or fuse is the problem, how do I access that? Behind the instrument panel I assume?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Assuming the circuit breaker or fuse is the problem, how do I access that? Behind the instrument panel I assume?
Yes, on the back side of the panel. You may be able to remove the screws from the corners of the panel and pull it forward so you do not have to work inside the console.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the same issue last season. I thought the bilge pump was bad or going so I purchased a new one. Once installed, it worked so I was satisfied that was the issue. But, it happened again but this time, the circuit breaker was popped so I reset it and it was fine. It happened a few other times but has been solid. Obviously, something is wrong and like you, I may need to replace the breaker. The question is, do they go bad????

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The question is, do they go bad????
Sometimes they do. The breaker is less than $10 and easy to change so I would start troubleshooting there.

Pete3024

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where's the best place to get replacement breakers Bruce? And would it be a 60amp marine fuse I need like the one that runs from the main battery supply?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where's the best place to get replacement breakers Bruce? And would it be a 60amp marine fuse I need like the one that runs from the main battery supply?
The breaker for the bilge pump is the small round button under the rubber cover below the switch. It is likely a 10 amp but you need to check to be certain. You may have a local marine supply that stocks breakers. It should be less than $10. If not search for the part number and order one online.

Have you tested to see if power is flowing through the breaker?