• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge pump

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
just found out that the guy who replaced my bilge pump put in a non automatic.( just bought boat- 2011 242) From factory are the pumps automatic ? I need to replace and want to make sure I don't need to wire direct to battery if it was set up that way already.

Thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Stock pumps are "automatic". That is, they power up every few minutes and are supposed to stay on if there is any resistance on the pumps impeller. Many, including me, found that the pimp does not always stay on like it's supposed to. I have not replaced mine yet but if I were going to id go with one that can be switched on manually as well as via a float switch.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the bilge pump run all the time when the switch is on or just when water is present?

I used a UltimaBilge™ 600 bilge pumps as my second bilge pump. You could install a similar pump or simply add a float switch to what you have.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my '06, I found a Rule 360 GPH On/Off pump that was a plug and play replacement. I added a Johnson Ultima Auto Bilge Pump Float and attached it right to the side of the pump with silicone and wire ties. I disconnected the old pump from the strainer, snapped the new one into the strainer with the float switch, connected the 3 wires...instant piece of mind! Now the pump will run automatically with the float switch with the helm switch off, or will run constant as long as the switch is on!

Keep the pump you have if it's manual and just add the float switch in-line!;)

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. It's pouring here in ny and keeping running to boat to check. Plus they took me if the lift and sunk them to avoid storm damage so boat is in water today and I hate it. Maybe just pull out as I don't want in water

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a hurricane coming and you have the option of doing so I would get the boat out of the water and to somewhere safe.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. It's pouring here in ny and keeping running to boat to check. Plus they took me if the lift and sunk them to avoid storm damage so boat is in water today and I hate it. Maybe just pull out as I don't want in water
Someone told you to keep the boat in the water during a storm?

No!

If you can't get it on a trailer and move it inland, keep it on the lift and raise it as high as you can. Strap the lift so it can't bang around in high winds. If the boat drain plug is higher than 3' above mean tide while on the lift, pull the drain plug to allow water to flow out.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Definitely wire the new pump directly to the battery. One with a float switch or a water sensing one (I used the rule mate 750). No more running down the battery for no reason and no way to forget to turn it on.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is what marina wanted to avoid Damage to lift. Boats in a protected slip but that being said I'm probably going to pull boat out of water today.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All good pulled boat out. Bought a auto bilge. Good to go for next season.