• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Top Issues: Scarab 195 HO Impulse

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I wanted to share a little issue I had with my bimini top. This weekend we left our boat slipped in our marina overnight and during the night a wicked wind kicked up and ripped the center arm of the bimini top almost out of the tower. We should have taken it down when we left, but we thought it was going to be a good night weather wise. I've attached a few pictures.

As you can see it ripped the screw out of the tower. It looks like the anchor piece can be reused, but in case it can't does anyone know where to buy individual parts for the bimini top? I'm going to attempt to screw it back in, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on prepping the tower before I do that. I can't put the screw back through the opened hole. Perhaps some sort of adhesive first and a screw? I attached some pictures.

My girlfriend was taking care of things, when I get back I'll assess the damage and figure out what I'm going to do.

But this is a good lesson for those of us with bimini tops.

Attachments

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a solution. That is going to be impossible to repair where it holds tight again as it sits.

Here is what your going to need. Ive done this on some bull bars.

1. rustolium textured flat black paint
2. Measure the thickness of the tower bar
3. take off the oem screw that you have left
4. Go to a hardware store and grab a drill bit that will go through both sides of the tower bar, and same thickness as the oem hole.
5. Grab some metal screws same thickness as the holes, and long enough to go to the other side of the bar.
5. Grab a set of washers, and locknuts to fit the screws.
6. Go home drill the holes and install the bimini bracket and the new bolts.
7. Install the washers and nuts on the reverse side.
8. Tighten everything.
9. Paint the hardware that is showing on the opposite side. Take your time, and dont overspray.
10. Once dry, enjoy your newly mounted hardware that will be stronger that ever.

Be careful drilling, there are wires in there. Might want to wiggle around, then drill.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know what, I just looked at mine, and your probably not
going to be able to do this because of the center bar. Im thinking....lol

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you very much, I'll get back to you guys on how it went; JB is on order. Take care.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could use some nut inserts. They are put in just like rivets. Hope that makes sense.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how the fixes work. Great suggestions.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That must have been one hell of a wind storm!!!

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ya it was, you should have seen the issues the sail boats had. I got off easy.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just wanted to get back to you on this fix. I ended up just screwing the piece back in, and applying some JB Weld around the ends and on the inside. It's now going absolutely nowhere, JB Weld is some of the best stuff I've ever seen. I've used it a few more times on various other fixes to metal parts I needed. I'll finish it up with by filling in the gaps, and putting a little paint on it. Noone even notices there was ever an issue; great advice everyone, thank you.

I've attached a picture so you can see.

Thanks.

Attachments

Nathan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't read through all the comments guys but another solution is to use a rivet nut

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I didn't read through all the comments guys but another solution is to use a rivet nut
+1 on the rivet nuts. That would be the best fix for this.