• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bizarre engine noise

Skirmante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So we got 25 hours last year and the engine was making suspicious noises it sounded like there isn’t enough fuel intake or something. It sounded like the engine was choking.
Nothing in the jets all good. Changed oil they “unlocked” the boat.. and winterized.

welp today was our first day out on the lake. Immediately check engine like came on... the noise of the engine it sounded like it was going to stop working any second. It sounded like it was choking again. It was so loud, and did not sound smooth. It sounded like grinding metal.

Anyone have a similar situation? I took a video as well to record the noises. Dealers say it’s normal.. I say far from. No ones engine sounds like this. It’s like almost like a high pitch whistle mixed with grinding metal and crickets and constantly sounds like it’s choking. I’m thinking maybe injectors are bad. Yet dealers claim nothing’s wrong.... also the boat wouldn’t go over 25 mph... I’m over it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would pull the pump and see if the noise continues on the hose. The pumps have internal bearings and when they go bad the pump sounds like its filled with loose hardware, and if it's really bad the vibration/impeller contact can affect speed. even before pulling the pump, maybe on the trailer you can listen and touch to see if vibration/noise seems to be coming from the pump vs the engine. I have a different boat, so I don't have any ideas on what to check if its the engine, other than "pull the code" to see what the computer thinks its the problem. Are you ready to sell it, or do you want to keep it? CanDoo is a big investment, but if you will keep the boat long term it may be a worthy one. I have had great luck working on boats myself vs paying someone to do so. (Sometimes you win,sometimes you lose, but overall I'm way way ahead) Unless you are made of money and have an awesome mechanic, relaying on them is bad for your pocket, mental health and boating time.

Best of Luck however you proceed!

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So we got 25 hours last year and the engine was making suspicious noises it sounded like there isn’t enough fuel intake or something. It sounded like the engine was choking.
Nothing in the jets all good. Changed oil they “unlocked” the boat.. and winterized.

welp today was our first day out on the lake. Immediately check engine like came on... the noise of the engine it sounded like it was going to stop working any second. It sounded like it was choking again. It was so loud, and did not sound smooth. It sounded like grinding metal.

Anyone have a similar situation? I took a video as well to record the noises. Dealers say it’s normal.. I say far from. No ones engine sounds like this. It’s like almost like a high pitch whistle mixed with grinding metal and crickets and constantly sounds like it’s choking. I’m thinking maybe injectors are bad. Yet dealers claim nothing’s wrong.... also the boat wouldn’t go over 25 mph... I’m over it.
Not sure how anyone will be able to help on here. What engine? Supercharged? High pitch whistle? That sounds like you may have a S/C , if so - you may have a hose that blew off. What I'm saying is this - bring in to dealership and show them what it is doing now. If it's making those noises don't see how a tech wouldn't realize something is wrong, could be a million dif things - most of them prob not major at all.. Bring in instead of getting upset and find out what it is. Too vague of an issue to try to help on here, sorry.