• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Black gelcoat renew

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My 2015 215 spent its first three years in direct sunlight without any protection (I bought it used at 14 hours last year). The black was pretty faded and oxidized. I’ve use med cutting paste, wet sand, waxes, you name it, but after a couple of weeks it looks like crap again. I figured I’d give it one last shot with a product called Costacoat. It’s a polymer that you wipe on, and it’s supposed to fill voids and makes things look shiny again. No wax, no buff, just wipe. Too good to be true right?
I used a polish on it first, to get any left over bits of wax off, then washed and wiped it dry.
Here’s before the polish and coating:
0637D361-A99F-4735-B0F1-150908192D5D.jpeg
I wiped on coats as instructed. 8 coats total. Need to be careful not to get it on the windshield (I did), because it is hard to get off. Here’s the finished product. It looks way better than the other treatments I’ve tried.
1E18E94F-F202-4CDF-957C-E4DDF2288B41.jpeg
I’ll keep this group updated on how well it holds up. I’m encouraged and cautiously optimistic. You can see a reflection of the basketball net and clouds on the after picture.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow! Nice! Please do post again, maybe when the summer is over, on how it held up.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It’s been 2 weeks, and it still looks really good. I’ll be making a trip to Lake of The Ozarks the 2nd week of August. Prior to that trip, I’m going to wash it down and apply a couple more coats. It is recommended to wipe on another coat it two mid-season. I’ll post pics this weekend.