• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Black residue on dipstick - 2020 AR190

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All,

I just bought a new 2020 AR190 a few weeks ago. I have roughly 6 hours on the engine. Haven't had the 10 hour maintenance at this point. No problem with the first 5 hours of running and the break-in period was uneventful. However, this weekend we were out on the lake and running about. I happen to notice a little bit of white smoke coming out the back of the boat (I assumed from the exhaust).

I decided to check the dipstick and noticed something odd. In pre-run checks up to this point the dipstick has relatively clear oil on the stick and nothing else. However, when this time, the dipstick had not only oil on it, but also a black residue like substance. I attached a picture so you can see it.

Any ideas on what this may be? I'm wondering if I have an issue that warrants taking the boat in before reaching 10 hours. Or perhaps this is normal.

Thanks in advance for any help. Likewise, I love this forum. I'm learning so much from others here.

Todd

IMG_20200603_145913small.jpg

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With only six hours on the engine I would think that the residue is from the engine and parts getting to know one another and some particles from that. The 10 hr service is an oil change and that should take care of most of the residue, I don't believe the maintenance schedule calls for changing the oil filter but I always change the filter and oil at the same time. Congrats on the new boat!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That doesn't look like much gunk. My guess would be normal oil sludge--the stuff that adds to the oil over time to get that nice black color when you need an oil change. I would carry on and do an oil change on 4 hours (with filter, of course).

Last edited:

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I had similar thoughts and just wanted to check my thinking on this. I appreciate the response.

With only six hours on the engine I would think that the residue is from the engine and parts getting to know one another and some particles from that. The 10 hr service is an oil change and that should take care of most of the residue, I don't believe the maintenance schedule calls for changing the oil filter but I always change the filter and oil at the same time. Congrats on the new boat!