• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blackbird Photo Tribute

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Last edited:

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was a great post. I always loved the look of the Blackbird. The tech it took to build this jet was decades ahead of it's time!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Big Shasta That is a great story, too bad they both couldn't tell it. Thank you for sharing...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What a cool machine. That is what the term, "smokin' hot" actually refers to.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By chance the National Geographic channel is currently airing a documentary about the A-12 (project oxcart) and Area 51.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just finished reading the second story. Amazing that he was flying a new SR.-71 in two weeks. Too bad they both were not flying together.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We stopped at the Warner Robbins air museum in January. The SR-71 was Emma's favorite plane. She took home a die cast SR-71 from the gift shop. She will enjoy seeing the pictures and reading the stories.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What a story.
My brother works at the Skunk Works. He can never tell me anything and I don't press him. I just rest in the knowledge he is working to protect my family from having to learn Chinese.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Incredible aircraft and incredible people in it and behind it. They were all titans in their fields.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a story.
My brother works at the Skunk Works. He can never tell me anything and I don't press him. I just rest in the knowledge he is working to protect my family from having to learn Chinese.
Yes, no matter how you slice it, learning Mandarin is a real bitch! :rolleyes::D:p

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm watching he story on it on the national geographic channel now. They just finished the 3 day trip from Burbank through the grape vine. I thought them trucking the space shuttle a few miles to a museum was an incredible feat. These guys did it with 1960s equipment and moved it a lot further. Incidentally, there is one on a post mounted in front of the castle air museum in Madera, CA.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Defiantly my favorite plane of all time!! Hard to believe the design was initially started on a napkin.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't realize over a thousand anti-air missiles were shot at them. I guess the Russians knew we were there but just couldn't get us.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't know if SAM's can reach 60,000ft, especially back then, let alone 80,000-100,000ft! I have shot at geese that I had no way of hitting too! lol @jawsf16 , how high can a SAM accurately target an aircraft? Just the thought of being on the edge of space, and moving at those speeds is incredible. I have never been supersonic, but I have a friend that flew the SR-71, spent time in a pub a few times chatting with a BA guy that flew the Concord, and worked with a few guys that flew the space shuttle. Aside from the shuttle pilots, at those altitudes, speed is just not a visible thing, except on the indicators and how quickly you pass from one fix to another...but the biggest indicator of speed really is how many times you have to change from one radio frequency to another! lol Airplanes...once they get under your skin, they stick with you!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for sharing @jawsf16. There is a SR-71 sitting in the R& D hanger at work about 600 yards from my office. Just like everyone else, this was one of the first model airplanes my dad and I built when I was a kid. Pretty nuts to be able to go look at it, among many others, anytime we want.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing @jawsf16. There is a SR-71 sitting in the R& D hanger at work about 600 yards from my office. Just like everyone else, this was one of the first model airplanes my dad and I built when I was a kid. Pretty nuts to be able to go look at it, among many others, anytime we want.
The US Air Force Museum at Wright Patt is one of the very best anywhere. My favorite there: the Valkyrie!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't know if SAM's can reach 60,000ft, especially back then, let alone 80,000-100,000ft!
Can't discuss classified ranges, but there a few SAMs that can reach up and get you. Powers was brought down by a SAM in his U-2... Likely most of those SR-71 engagements were nervous cold war operators that were defending the homeland, regardless of the PK. So at least when the Komrades find out that there was an aircraft overhead, they can say "we engaged the threat!"

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length