• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blew a plug for first time today, almost flooded me engine compartment.

Now I'm confused!

Have a look under your clean out hatch. I doubt there is a path for water to get into your engine compartment from there. Water frequently gets into the clean out plug area when waves go over the stern.

But if you run a water hose into your bilge you will quickly find water in your engine compartment. This is how it gets to the bilge pump.

If the rubber hose and cover fail to route water up and over the stern after a blowout then it goes into the bilge and quickly fills the engine compartment.

I wonder how many of us have checked the conditions of the hose clamps on those rubber hoses? I replaced the rusty clamps at the bottom of the hoses last year.

I haven't had a problem yet, but the other day after taking the boat out of the water I has water almost to the top of the clean out port.
once I took out the plug, which seemed properly seated, it drained out but left me wondering.
In any case, the whole ride out was without a hitch, never any indication of problems. I tried to remember if I had been in any situation where the water could have gotten that high up the stern, but couldn't really think of anything.
I know I always double check both the drains and the plug, so it was on properly when launched.

Mystery...

yep, gonna need a diagram!
I haven't had a problem yet, but the other day after taking the boat out of the water I has water almost to the top of the clean out port.
once I took out the plug, which seemed properly seated, it drained out but left me wondering.
In any case, the whole ride out was without a hitch, never any indication of problems. I tried to remember if I had been in any situation where the water could have gotten that high up the stern, but couldn't really think of anything.
I know I always double check both the drains and the plug, so it was on properly when launched.

Mystery...
I think the water you are talking about in the cleanout is absolutely normal. 100% of the time I have to uncork the plugs by dipping my hand in water.

@Eurocat, the water on top of the plugs splashes over the stern. It is perfectly normal but the plugs need to be pulled after use to prevent it soaking into the plugs. If the plug blows out it is more like a fire hydrant.

It might be normal, like I said the boat felt fine, pulled well and there was absolutely no water anywhere else. I just couldn't recall any moment where I saw water climbing that high.
Important part was that plug felt 100% secure, so it was strange that's all.

I always leave the plug out as soon as it's up on the trailer. Only goes back in after the drains are in. It's sort of a checklist I follow.

@GiddYupJoe did you have any type of lock installed on your plug when it blew? Do you remember checking them during install to make sure they were properly installed?

I did not have an aftermarket lock. I always instal and tug three times hard. Ran all day with no issue. I was not a believer in the added layer of protection because it had never happened to me. I will now be purchasing and installing! Just in case... Right.

Out on the water less than 10 minutes this morning, bost running fine, stopped to talk to my buddy in another boat. As I gassed it from there, felt something was wrong, thought I may have sucked something up. Stepped onto the rear to open the hatch, noticed stern was riding low. Port side plug was unseated, Tru locks did their job, put it back in, checked engine compartment, water half way up engines! Bilge was pumping, back to dock we go. Checked again, water dropped dramatically, no sign of any other issues. Great rest of the day, no water in engine compartment, all good. Then about 15 miles from home, I lose a bearing on the rear driver side axle! Luckily looks ok, should be fixed before I leave for Lake Anna on Saturday! Top it off, my buddy broke a bunk board on his trailer, just bought the boat/trailer last week!
So your saying you had a good day :thumbsup:

I own a set of aftermarket locks. I have never installed them. My plan is to replace the lower portions of the plugs any time they they require force to install.

My theory is that most plug blowouts are due to swollen plugs that are partially locked.

If the plug blows out cleanly it is attached by a chain that I hope will retain it despite whatever damage it may do to the hatch cover.

If the plug lodges in the rubber tube then it is more likely to fill the bilge and engine compartment with water .

Here's a parts diagram from Yamaha sports plazas site. When part number 10 or 11, giant house clamps fail, part number 9, the tube leading from the pump to the tray (that the cleanout plug goes through) sometimes separates from the tray, part 1. All of the water that travels through part 10 as a result of the clean out plug blowing out or becoming stuck sideways in the tube ends up filling the compartment under the cleanout tray (behind the engines where the water boxes / mufflers and stock transducer are) and eventually the bilge. If the bilge pump can't keep up or is off/broken, it won't take long to flood the compartment before the water backs up into the engine compartment (think fire hose pressure).

image.jpg

I will add that I forget to lock my plugs into place last year or the year before and I nearly flooded my engine compartment. I got about 5 miles out first and slowly accelerated to speed (about 30 mph) without issue. I didn't notice something was wrong until the water patrol stopped me to tell me to stay clear of the construction/destruction of the old SF bay bridge. When I went to accelerate out of there I felt the cavitation, did the check, realized and fixed what was wrong and was out of there. I got lucky the plugs shade in the tubes and the tubes stayed connected at both ends so most of the water ended up exiting through the top of the tunes and into the tray instead of the bilge and engine compartment.

Last edited:
Any aftermarket lock should totally prevent the plug from coming loose or blowing out under pressure. And with EZ locks, you can't install them wrong if you look for the tips touching when installed. Then if the internal lock fails, it stays seated and does not release or blow. As a matter of fact, you must then relock the plug to unlock the ez lock just to get them out. While they may protect the hatch, I believe that nerf footballs increase your chance of a flood and engine damage, so I don't use them or recommend them. EZ Locks are the cheapest and most fail safe insurance you can buy. I wouldn't have a yamaha without them. Just my personal opinions.

Any aftermarket lock should totally prevent the plug from coming loose or blowing out under pressure. And with EZ locks, you can't install them wrong if you look for the tips touching when installed. Then if the internal lock fails, it stays seated and does not release or blow. As a matter of fact, you must then relock the plug to unlock the ez lock just to get them out. While they may protect the hatch, I believe that nerf footballs increase your chance of a flood and engine damage, so I don't use them or recommend them. EZ Locks are the cheapest and most fail safe insurance you can buy. I wouldn't have a yamaha without them. Just my personal opinions.

What is your thought about the Tru Locks vs. the EZ- Lock's? I know both are valued sponsor members, but just looking for an opinion on the operation of one vs. the other.

What is your thought about the Tru Locks vs. the EZ- Lock's? I know both are valued sponsor members, but just looking for an opinion on the operation of one vs. the other.

Both are valued members. We do not have sponsors. Hopefully that keeps things impartial.

in the FAQ we have a post about locks and a link to each company,

I prefer EZ locks as Tx8avr quoted above but do your research and enjoy your purchase,

There is a difference in how each of these clean out plug modifications work. One is no drilling but replaces internal parts, but you must disassemble the plug to replace the parts. The other requires drilling a small hole across the cams and lever arms, with included instructions as well as the drill bit you need, but no need to disassemble the plug. Both vendors will give you wonderful support and help. I try to be impartial completely, but we all have our opinions and preferences. We as a forum are not obligated to any vendor, nor are they obligated to us. That is a great thing for the forum member. We don't as a forum, endorse or push you in any direction. This allows us, the "help" here at jetboaters.net, to add our two cents and participate. No member should look at what any of us, @Bruce @Julian @OperationROL @Murf'n'surf @ScarabMike , as experts or final authority...we are just members like yourselves. While we may have more experience than you with these boats, there are plenty of members (and non members too) out there with a ton more experience than us. We are entitled to our opinions and are eager to share our discoveries and solutions, but when we signed on to build a new place, it was done with the creed we have stated so many times...of the member, by the member, for the member. We are all members. I know many of our vendors and believe they all add a great deal to this forum by being members themselves and adding to your experience here. Isn't it great that you can use any product and make your own choice!

Back