• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blown engine 1999 Yamaha...is it worth it?

dpranno

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Just posted this in the Rotax Engine thread, and realized I should have started here.

Hello to all the experts! I need some advice...

I found this 1999 Yamaha on CL, but one of the engines is blown. Obviously it is going for cheap because of this minor issue ;) , but how cheap is cheap enough for this purchase to make sense? The boat and trailer look solid, with the regular amount of cosmetic wear and tear on the seats and paint.

I guess it comes down to rebuilding or buying a new engine, and how much that costs. Any and all advice on this topic is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

this is a duplicate post in the rotax section,

This is a 2 stroke motor boat, I'm assuming since your asking your not very 2 stroke knowledgeable, 2 strokes are more labor/knowledge intensive with carbs and oil/mix,

it all depends on the price your going to have to pay for someone to replace it,

it also depends on what a "blown" motor is, is the core still good is there other things salvageable or did a rod go thru the block ??

I would want to hear the good engine run, otherwise I would assume that one is toast also (I'd rather be happily surprised than shocked and upset that I had two engines to fix),

I would guess you could buy a rebuilt motor, installed for $5-6k, you can have a jetski shop do it if you have one around, I would actually suggest that over a "boat" mechanic since these have become "old school" but a lot of people still run the 2 stroke jetskis

dpranno

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply. 5 to 6 K makes more sense than what he said...claimed it could be fixed for 1K, but that was refurbished. I'd be in waaaay over my head on this one,time to bail!

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not recommend taking on a project boat either, but if you did, most people would head to a ski shop to have the work they couldn’t do done, and many ski shops get engine parts from here.

Would suggest searching the forum for SBT as well.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That all make sense. Varying degrees of damage would alter the cost. I blew a rod in mine. They salvaged what they could but 15K nonetheless. Ugh.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keeping in mind, these are the 135hp Gp1200 engines. They are all over the place and rebuilt engines are readily available. That being said, only you can judge how mechanically inclined you are.

Do not mistake these for the GP1200r engines at 155hp or the FI version and Gp1300r Engines. These are the older pre 1999 Carbed GP1200 engines. Good solid motors though. So it may be worth it. And I bet a mechanic could do it for a $1000 with a donor Waverunner. Assuming the $1000 is probably labor.

Good luck,

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To DIY...$500 to $1000 for parts and machine work to rebuild a motor..$150 to $200 in parts to rebuild each carb rack. $100 or so to replace oil lines. Add another $150 for a few filters and misc bits.

you could send the carbs out and buy an sbt motor...probably be $1000 for an engine, $500 per carb rack (both should be done) $300-400 shipping. Labor to reinstall $? Though it’s not too complicated if you want do it yourself.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't do it!!! Look for 4 stroke fuel injected boat instead. I had a 2 stroke for 14 years (seadoo) they are lots of fun, but demands lots of maintenance due to carb. Go to Fuel Injection and never look back! So much more reliable! If I have a regret is not moving to the 4 stroke sooner.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Don't do it!!! Look for 4 stroke fuel injected boat instead. I had a 2 stroke for 14 years (seadoo) they are lots of fun, but demands lots of maintenance due to carb. Go to Fuel Injection and never look back! So much more reliable! If I have a regret is not moving to the 4 stroke sooner.
Meh, a few pistons, rings and carb kits every now and then sure beats $15k when the timing chains or super chargers let go.

26DFB2A6-8A46-471A-99E8-CBCEAD58F446.gif

dpranno

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice...but he sold it in less than 24 hours. Must have been a good deal I guess, but too much of a project for me.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Meh, a few pistons, rings and carb kits every now and then sure beats $15k when the timing chains or super chargers let go.
i don't disagree

MR1 or many other non explosive timing chain equipped engine, and naturally aspirated engine. Done.

Carb issues every three years got to me after the ethanol fuel switch, so I have a jaded perspective.

i saw several yamaha carbed outboards today proving one more day of reliable service after 20+ years since manufacture... So don't take what i say too hard!

Last edited:

dpranno

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Exciter
Boat Length
So he was asking $3.5k, and I'm sure he would have taken 3. Trailer was probably worth half that.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well you do not know if you missed out or not yet. After the new owner finds out how much in time and/or money it will take to make it right, it might be for sale again. :)

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So don't take what i say too hard!
No worries, if I was upset I’d have brought up JB welded blocks injectors and ECU’s ;) never mind the oil coolers.

So he was asking $3.5k, and I'm sure he would have taken 3. Trailer was probably worth half that.
Probably a fair price in this market. If the buyer can DIY the repairs and understands two stroke tuning and carbs then they’ll have a decent ride for ~$5k.