• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blown engine??

RotaxMichel

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I was riding yesterday and wakes were moderate
Suddenly the engine revs out of control. Pulled the key to stop engine. I put the key back in, start the engine again, it idles fine, by ut as soon as I increase throttle, is revs out of control... I thought something was stuck in the impeller and spun out of control.

Ended up idling back to launch ramp,... when I pulled out the plug, engine oil came out. Then looked in engine compartment, its filled up with oil at bottom. Engine is empty. But the motor still spins...

What could the problem be?? Something broke & punctured the engine case? Or is it the head gasket?? Haven't had the boat checked yet as it is Sunday!

Any thought anyone??

First i would see where oil came from, if not that easy to spot. Then clean off and fill with oil and start up for a few seconds.
Dont know why it would rev though

I had something similar happen!
I hope it is the same.
I put on an inferior oil filter and the seal blew.
Oil all over the entire engine compartment revs like crazy at 1st then mine wouldn't go over 3000rpm. When I checked I found the oil then limped home on one engine. 2004 sx230.

After close inspection. I cleaned out the entire compartment added new yamaha filter. Added oil and figured I'd start the engine and see where the oil was coming from if it was an engine issue- I got lucky it was definetly the oil filter and only the oil filter. Been fine ever since.
So take off your oil filter without damaging it and look and see if it's rusting and obvious?
If so replace it and do an oil change while your here. If not look and see if you can locate obvious damage. But for the cost of an oil change and a bunch of rags its a great place to start.

Question on this- did you ever figure out why the engine revs out of control? Mine is doing that when I go over 3500 RPM's only on one engine (port).

Back