• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat bottom coat

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Wondering if anyone has used any coating like Wetlander or gatorglide or anything similar to their Scarab. I ask because I boat on the Illinois and Kankakee Rivers, and pull up to sand bars a lot. It’s taking a toll on the bottom of my boat.
These coatings for the most part are glorified silicone epoxy bottom paints based.
any input would be greatly appreciated.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have a keelguard already? I like a very tidy boat but no longer expect to see my reflection in the bottom of the hull. Plus, I don’t spend a lot of time on my back under the trailer. The important thing to me is just making sure to repair any scratches that may occasionally compromise the gelcoat under there.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I’ve got a guard, but it doesn’t do much to help the scratching from the sand on the bottom.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I painted the lower hull of my last boat with Awlgrip. It is normally a topside paint but can work well if the boat is in water less than 72 hours. Extensive time under water will eventually blister it. Roll and tip method left a very smooth finish and looked much better than the old blistered polyflake gelcoat; but I don’t think you would want to go through any of that. Have you thought about backing up to the bar with a bungee’ bow anchor in the river and a shore spike in the sand to keep her afloat? It is also makes a nice bench at the beach with toes in the water.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey Seadeals,
I do use my anchor and spike when appropriate. I use an end-post anchor at the stern with a dock-line. It’s a 2’ rod with a loop at one end and an auger st the other, anchor at the bow. Works great in some areas. Others, the best is to drive the bow onto the beach. The bow on the beach is where the scuffing happens.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Scarab 215, that is the stuff I was wondering about. It’s got to be better than nothing. I may put some on later this season.