• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Buckle Installation

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did buy the stainless Reese version so they would survive salt water use. I chose Reese for a lower price and stronger product. I launched in salt water on the 5th the retrieved on the 17th. I did not apply any kind of protectant or try to clean them in any way. They still look and work just like new.
@Bruce
How long have you used the Reese buckles and how are they working. I had a long talk with the guy from Cabelas today and he told me they've had a lot of those returned because they would seize up, or just plain break. He recommended the boat buckles even though he said the price difference does make lots of folks buy the reese first. Just hoping that some people can chime in on both.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce
How long have you used the Reese buckles and how are they working. I had a long talk with the guy from Cabelas today and he told me they've had a lot of those returned because they would seize up, or just plain break. He recommended the boat buckles even though he said the price difference does make lots of folks buy the reese first. Just hoping that some people can chime in on both.
I have had them a little over a month. They have more than 2,000 miles and 2 salt water exposures so far. They are very strongly constructed. I expect a long life from them.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I bought the boat buckles G2 today. Their appearance sold me in the side by side with the Reese unit. Well and that the old guy in the boat section in Cabelas. He told me to get the Reese and try em', he said you'll probably them back like the others. Maybe you'll like em. Hard to argue with old timers who are usually more right than wrong. I tapped back the ears on my 190 trailer with a mallet, installed the boat buckles with a perfect angle and WaLa I love them. Used them tonight and the wife said "Well that's way better, and you'll keep all your fingers"

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here it is. The were straight back at first with the dog eared corner with the hole already drilled. I tapped them toward the leading edge of the trailer and then bolted on the boat buckles.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I read somewhere that someone used different hardware due to the quality, but I cant find it. Does anyone have issues with the nuts/bolts provided?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the provided bolts don't thread. I called them before I bought and they sent me 2 stainless bolts overnight. Sure enough the ones that came with the buckles were duds.