• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat buckles question

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just brought our boat home from storage to get everything ready for summer finally. I bought some boat buckles over the winter and am going to install them in the morning. I was looking at it tonight and I noticed there is no where to get a wrench in there to tighten up the bolt and nut for the mounting. What has everyone else done with these? Drill all the way through? Looking for
Some advice on what others have done.

Thanks

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine just mounted to the existing tab near the tail light. No drilling required on mine. Do the larger boat trailer have different mounting areas?

IMG_8712.JPG

IMG_8710.JPG

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure since my boat had the tabs like @haknslash but DO NOT USE the bolts that came with the boat buckles. They seize as you’re tighten them and you won’t be able to snug them tight. Go to your local hardware store and pick up the right ones

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 21 foot same tab on the painted trailer

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the tab just didn’t seem like the best angle for the Rachet part and I have seen others mounted to the frame of the trailer.. I’ll look into mounting to the tabs in the morning and even just try it like that. Wasn’t sure how it would function but if yours is there don’t see why mine can’t be!

Thanks for the info

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine has worked perfect on the tab for a couple of years now. I bought my boat buckles right after I bought my boat and wouldn't have it any other way.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Make sure and get a different nut for the bolt like @ThatJeepGuy said. Very good point from him!! I found out the hard way. Had to cut one off when I stopped wrenching the nut all the way on. Sucked!:( I am on second season and mounted them just like @haknslash did. They are still snug and have no issues. I went with the stainless and love them. One of the best mods for sure!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The bolts and nuts that come with them can gall easily. Mine were a bit stubborn but I went real slow and they made it all the way.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bolts and nuts that come with them can gall easily. Mine were a bit stubborn but I went real slow and they made it all the way.
Not worth the gamble. For $2 it's just not worth my time. But that's just 1 man's opinion....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not worth the gamble. For $2 it's just not worth my time. But that's just 1 man's opinion....
For sure there are better fasteners to buy and use and I agree the bolts and nuts are not the best to use. However as long as you go slow they will work. Galling happens on those threads VERY easily if you crank on them to get the friction and heat going. You can't go ratcheting on them like they are a lug nut which I think is what some people experience when they eventally cold weld the threads and have to end up cutting them off. I'm just stubborn and didn't want to drive across town lol so I made them work for me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This x10000. I tried to go nice and slow. Ended up having to spend an hour trying to get it off, then decided to get out the old trust hacksaw. Spend the $2 and save your self an hour.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So what you guys are really saying is you're just weak and need mo' muscle? I'm kidding of course :D.

I would just buy new hardware / better fasteners. The reviews on Amazon and other places all mention how hard the fasteners can be so its been this way for them for a long time now. Maybe I just got lucky :D. They were certainly a pain to screw on and there were times I thought they weren't going to go but all went well in the end. I have zero intention of taking them off and they will go with the new owner of the boat lol.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine attached at the factory tabs, but I did need to "adjust" the angle slightly.