• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Cover

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched the forum for boat cover options for my boat and didn't really find anything.

I have a 2012 SX210 and am considering buying a full cover for the boat for the winter. As of now I do not have indoor storage and I may not this winter, so I am thinking of getting a cover. I have the snap on covers now and they are great, but they obviously do not cover the whole top of the boat which is probably why I have some oxidation on the top.

Anyway, I first started to look for the Yamaha cover. I can hardly find it for sale, but the one place I was was Amazon and it was like $750. I have no idea what they are normally priced, but my guess is that since its Yamaha that may be the price. So I am looking for some experiences/opinions on what cover is a good option and where to find it.

I would like the cover to fit well, which I am sure the Yamaha does. I also obviously want it to last more than a season. I have not ruled out the Yamaha, but it does seem pricey. What is the normal expected price for the Yamaha and are there other good options I should consider?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah you will pay around $750 for the Yamaha cover anywhere that I've seen. My opinion is (disclaimer: just bought it this summer) the Yamaha cover is worth it, fits like a glove, looks nice, easy on and off, and seems to be decent quality.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an option, I have the factory full boat cover for my boat, as mentioned, looks nice and pulls tight with the ratchets straps, however, this cover is "water repellant rated" not waterproof. per Yamahas web site. I now have indoor storage, but prior, I just purchased a heavy 20 x 30 tarp for $65.00 and used bungie strap to attach to trailer frame. If mainly concerned about winter, probably best choice, My interior was bone dry in spring. However, if you live in a hot area in the summer, do not want to use it as it will not breath and sweat inside.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I just got the boat, I am not sure what type of cover that I will need and when. The snap-on covers are great and I use them all the time. If I store outdoors this winter, I would like to cover at least the whole top. Now what I really do not know about yet is how much I would use a cover outside of winter. I mean I would like to avoid the oxidation and I want to protect the boat from the winter but I do not want to have 3 different covers.

I currently do not have property on a lake so my boat will be trailered most of the time.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have it shrink wrapped If you get a snow storm the snow sticks to the cover or tarp and it builds up weight mine had that happen and the cover ripped. I pay extra and have them use the large shrink wrap it almost goes to the water line

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The factory covers fit well but the material is crap and long term durability sux. They make them to last about 4 years or so. This way you have to buy another one. They will be water repellant for aprox 6-12 mos. after that water will pour through it. The material will degrade from uv and no matter how much repellant spray you put on them it wont make a difference. They eventually fall apart. The same company makes them for all the boat companies. I have one for my boat, yamaha and honda ski. They all suck. I cant complain about the fit though and the vacuum hold system is good. It will cost more but you will be better in the long run to have a nice custom sunbrella cover made.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any other options or suggestions for covers? Like I said winter coverage is my primary concern now but I also wouldn’t mind having something to help avoid oxidation too. If the Yamaha cover is that much and doesn’t work that well, then maybe I should looks elsewhere.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In my checking when I wanted a cover, I found similar things. First, the Yamaha covers are $@#$ expensive. Second, alternatives don't fit the same or attach poorly (like bungee cords looped under the keel and up the other side, etc.). And those alternatives, once you get quality material, are #$$#@ expensive.

So I got a Yamaha cover.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Any other options or suggestions for covers? Like I said winter coverage is my primary concern now but I also wouldn’t mind having something to help avoid oxidation too. If the Yamaha cover is that much and doesn’t work that well, then maybe I should looks elsewhere.
for a premade cover that you can just buy then the factory yamaha cover will be the best for that route. all other aftermarket covers i have ever seen are like what TD mentioned above. they are more generic and fit crappy. if you want better than the factory cover that will last your many years then you need to have a marine canvas guy make you a cover. this is really no big deal. just ask around, get some references and find the right person. there is a big difference from one person to the next. they mostly all use sunbrella so the fabric will all be the same but the craftsmanship in it is what varies. i just had a new bimini, boot, bow and cockpit cover made for my boat. the 4 pieces were almost $4k. i could have had it done for about 1/2 that but the guy chose there was a night and day difference in his work...and i am particular when i have someone create something for me.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought my boat last year it came with a newer (0-1 yr old) Yamaha mooring cover. I did pay to have wrap last winter, but @ $400, I wouldn’t mind trying something else. If I use the Yamaha cover and I get a couple years less life out of it it is still cost effective. The other option is to buy a less expensive generic cover, $200, and if I can get at least two winters out of it that is a good deal.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you tow the boat with the Yamaha or the other premade covers?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
yamaha yes. others i wouldnt even think about it. others dont fit tight and dont have the vacuum system so even if they strap under the keel they will blow and whip in the wind. could cause some dull rub spots or eventual rub throughs on painted areas around the windshield etc.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you tow the boat with the Yamaha or the other premade covers?
I have towed with the Yamaha Mooring cover all over the place and on 4-5 hour road trips. Never a problem and no scuffs on boat. Although I adhere to several things. You want to make sure the cover is extremely tight, I can't even get a finger under it. I use pool noodles on my entire window frame. I also use the front and back pole straps WITHOUT the poles and snug them down nice and tight. They give a lot of support to the cover. Finally I throw a large beach ball up front.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have towed with the Yamaha Mooring cover all over the place and on 4-5 hour road trips. Never a problem and no scuffs on boat. Although I adhere to several things. You want to make sure the cover is extremely tight, I can't even get a finger under it. I use pool noodles on my entire window frame. I also use the front and back pole straps WITHOUT the poles and snug them down nice and tight. They give a lot of support to the cover. Finally I throw a large beach ball up front.
Ok. I am not sure I understand exactly what you are describing. What are the front/back pole straps? I was planning to use the snap on covers and then put the mooring cover over it. Is that a good idea or not?

I really would rather not pay $750 for a cover, but I may end up doing it. It does not sound like there is a better option for less.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mooring cover comes with anti-pooling poles and straps. They push up the cover so that water does not pool in the bow or aft sections.

I would not use the mooring cover with the snap-on if you are outside anywhere there may be rain. You would not be able to use the poles, which means that you would get water pooling on the cover...

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, got it. I guess I did not consider it may have those poles to prevent pooling. Since I saw some people complain about the Yamaha cover letting water into the boat, I just thought using both would help.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, the Yamaha covers are $@#$ expensive. alternatives, once you get quality material, are #$$#@ expensive.

Yamaha covers are relatively cheap compared to others. We paid over $2300 for a Premier pontoon cover when ours got shredded in a storm. I'll gladly pay $4-600 every 5 years or so for a great fitting, made for the specific boat cover.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where is the best place to find the Yamaha cover? When I searched, I found it on Amazon but now I cannot find it anymore. And how do I find the right model number for my boat? I am looking everywhere and see all kinds of model numbers. I found MAR-210BK-NT-14-COVER but not sure if that is right or not.

Last edited:

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so I did find something on Yamaha Sports Plaza, but I am a little confused. Here are screenshots of 2 different covers that show up for my boat. I see the wording and model numbers are different. What is the difference and which is better?

covers.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered mine through the dealer, although my boat, I believe, is newer. Call a dealer and ask their price first and their item number. That way you can compare. Just a thought.

As far as the model numbers above, maybe another member with the same boat and cover could give you the model number, hopefully.