• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat fenders and docking a SX190

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought a new 2019 SX190 this year and have only had it on the water 1 time this year due to the flooding and ramps closed. We were out over Memorial day and rented a slip for the 3 days. I had a terrible time trying to use fenders to protect the boat. Seems like those docks were tall and was about the level of the rub rail.This was not our normal lake we are on so won’t be dealing with those. Ramps at our lake should be open this week end and hopefully by the next week be at summer pool. So how does everyone use fenders and placement for these boats? Pics would really be helpful.Dang I lean a lot from everyone here. So thanks in advance!

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can tell you having the similar boat that the cleats on our boats are definitely too low as far as positioning goes I’m looking into the suction cups for the windows and that would at least protect the center of the boat and be able to lift the fender up higher. Other than that I am using very large taylor made fenders they seem to be the best solution that I can find so far. I have a few scratches now due to irregular docking situations.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cleats are WAY to low on our '17 AR190. The rear cleat is useless to hold a bumper in place.

I have been tying one to the center cleat as high as I can. I also tie one to the tower and hang just belo wthe rub rail.

For tall docks........this sounds far easier than it should be.....put the bumper on the dock, not the boat. I've had far better luck with this than trying to figure out where to hang it on the boat itself.

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can tell you having the similar boat that the cleats on our boats are definitely too low as far as positioning goes I’m looking into the suction cups for the windows and that would at least protect the center of the boat and be able to lift the fender up higher. Other than that I am using very large taylor made fenders they seem to be the best solution that I can find so far. I have a few scratches now due to irregular docking situations.
Lol,yep I purchased the suction cups, the rail clips, kids bouncy balls but have not tried them yet on the water!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah. I'm struggling protecting the rear corner edges above the rub rail. I have to make sure I have the front tied close enough so the rear end doesn't hit the dock, I may look into sea deck to protect the rear corners... don't know.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t like the cleat placement on my 242.
My best system is to use a fender on the center cleat, tie one to the front seat grab rail (near the aft portion), and hang one from the wake tower.
I just use the forward and rear cleats for dock lines.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my sx190 I installed quick cleats on the ledge next to the bench seat back and hang one from the windshield forward side using a clip

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tie the bow fenders to the bow rail.

For the mid-ship fenders, I use a Fender Tender (Fender Tender II Pair by Go2marine$7.63Go2marineNo tax) and they are sold all over the place. I then clip them to the windshield where then Frame is.

When we need a fender on the stern, I usually tie it to the tower.

The other trick I do (this one took me a few years to figure out) is the mid-ship fenders are blue (others are white). This easily helps the crew locate the correct fenders.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
TACO quick release fender locks. Of all the things I did to my boat, this is probably my favorite.

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah as mentioned above we tie a fender to the tower and one decently high on the front cleat. (‘19 AR195)

We have the luxury to dock on the same slip every time so we have a good set of bumpers on the dock “posts” also.

Sublime195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Taylor made fender locks. Can deploy quickly which is very nice. We used to tie one on the wake tower. Like someone else said the back is useless for a fender.

Dave

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess it seems like there is no easy answer to this problem,lol. I purchased some high $$ mission sentry fender and they turned out worthless for me. No mater what I did they would not stay in place. The chop on the lake would loosen them😤. Fender tender II seems like they might work in combo with suction cups and will try them next time out along with the kids bouncy balls. I got the 18” ones and they look promising.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hang from tower and tie bumpers to the dock rather than cleats in those situations, as others have suggested. I have learned also, if there is a current involved, if possible, tie down on the side the current is coming from. This will push the boat away from the dock rather than the boat from constantly being pushed against the dock.

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use round fenders on the stern cleat and middle cleat, and hang a large round fender from the bow rail. I find the stern cleat works fine with this setup, but on our lake the dock edge goes below the waterline so the fender does have something to bounce off of, it's not going under a high dock.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A friend of mine gave me a set of Hull Hugrs that I really like because they lay flat against the boat and are easy to store but as outlined above, sometimes you cant get them tied high enough to provide ample protection. Recently began tying off the hand rails and tower just to get them high enough.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
If possible, when pulling up to the dock, try to pick a side where the wind will keep you away from the dock. Can't always do that but something to be aware of.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
0582FE9F-CD32-4B34-ABDB-58088F7383C8.jpegI tie fender to wake tower. On occasion I have definitely needed to use a suction cup attachment for the mid section of boat. We travel to different marinas and restaurants. Not all docks are as wide or in great shape either.