• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat lift question regarding a 255

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to ( for the summer ) store a 255 on a Hewitt 4500 cantilever lift. Anyone have the same set up? Any recommendations on bunk set up would be a huge help. Thanks.

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Most lift mfg's won't make a cantilever lift over 3000lb capacity. My tip to you, set that lift up with plenty of bow weight. Once you start lifting, that thing is going to want to tip over backwards. Or keep in mind to not have folks get on or off unless the boat is fully up or fully down.

We had a 3000lb cantilever with our last 20ft SeaDoo. if you didn't have it far enough forward, or the boat fully up/down, she would want to tip if someone stepped on the swimdeck partially supported. There is good reason 4000lb+ lifts are usually vertical lifts. It allows us to lower our boat to a height that's easy for folks to step on the swimdeck, or over the bow, so partial drops are nice. But you also have to remember the capacity of the lift before 10 people get on and add another 1500lbs+

Good luck,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
For bunk placement, you can measure what your trailer bunks are.

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Most lift mfg's won't make a cantilever lift over 3000lb capacity. My tip to you, set that lift up with plenty of bow weight. Once you start lifting, that thing is going to want to tip over backwards. Or keep in mind to not have folks get on or off unless the boat is fully up or fully down.

We had a 3000lb cantilever with our last 20ft SeaDoo. if you didn't have it far enough forward, or the boat fully up/down, she would want to tip if someone stepped on the swimdeck partially supported. There is good reason 4000lb+ lifts are usually vertical lifts. It allows us to lower our boat to a height that's easy for folks to step on the swimdeck, or over the bow, so partial drops are nice. But you also have to remember the capacity of the lift before 10 people get on and add another 1500lbs+

Good luck,

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I agree, choosing the proper lift is key. A cantilever lift gets more of the boat into the water and that is what is needed in this location. I had a 23 ft deck boat, weighing around 3500 lbs, with a 250 4 stroke outboard on that lift for a long time with no problem.
Curious, Is there much more weight from the two Rotax engines?

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For bunk placement, you can measure what your trailer bunks are.
Done. The new boat is two feet longer than the old boat set up as are the bunks.
I guess the next step is adding new longer bunks to the boat lift.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I agree, choosing the proper lift is key. A cantilever lift gets more of the boat into the water and that is what is needed in this location. I had a 23 ft deck boat, weighing around 3500 lbs, with a 250 4 stroke outboard on that lift for a long time with no problem.
Curious, Is there much more weight from the two Rotax engines?
I would almost bet the 250 weighs more. Not sure. But yes, you would have seen issues if it were a problem, so glad to hear.

Some of the folks in our region that could not get low enough with a cantilever, went with a Raptor lift. Think Claw Game for a boat. But they are spendy.