• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Loading

Rainmakr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When putting the these jet boats onto a trailer, do you guys power all the way up or use the winch to bring the boat to the roller? Is there any issue with using the winch versus the powering up? Thanks!

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both, Have the wife power up as I'm winching. If by myself I's try to power it up most of the way then winch the rest.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just depends on what's allowed. Some ramps don't allow power loading as it can erode the bottom of the ramp, make sure you check.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Yamaha instructional video recommends to power up and never winch.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Yamaha instructional video recommends to power up and never winch.
Most ramps are okay to do that, but some places with gravel-y bottom you want to be careful. If you suck up gravel, most of the time you are done - with an impeller to rebuild (if you lucky, or impeller and wear ring if your are not). These pumps are like giant vacuum cleaners - will pick up large rocks from the bottom if you gun them in shallow water.

--

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our routine is a bit of both.

Once I'm lined up and mostly on the trailer, I use my highest setting on my "no-wake" mode to get me as close as possible. Then the wife winches me up the last foot or so.
(I will power up more if it's low tide and I need to get up higher.)

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Power up, TG hg en crank up the slack, repeat until at the roller.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I power load whenever I can. I recommend that anyone who does so add a scuff plate or two.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got the veve guides and Ramp N Clamp and it works great. There are no restrictions at my lake to power up. The ramp isn't that steep so I can get the trailer deep enough so that powering in isn't that hard. I could probably pull the boat in by hand and get it to lock in the clamp.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
the approach angle plays a big part on this. Our ramps are steep 'nuff we can get close and then winch. The fishing boats destroy the rams with the power ons. needs to stop

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little WD-40 on the bunks goes a long way to helping that last little bit of winching, especially on a steep ramp.

Eric

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On the steep ramps I can usually position the winch and bow eye to be level to each other, so getting to the bow stop without winching is easier. The real challenge with out a bb ii or ramp n clamp to lock the bow in place is having the stern swing sideways, due to current and/or wind, over the bunks but that is not an issue if you have long trailer guides.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A little WD-40 on the bunks goes a long way to helping that last little bit of winching, especially on a steep ramp.

Eric
I've seen more a fair number of boats slip off the bunks at our ramp from folks unlatching the stern and bow straps before they were over water or even before they started backing down...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The problem with strictly winching, is that the winch is not strong enough to do the job. Most people that have a situation where power loading is not an option, will replace the winch with a stronger winch, like the Fulton F2, which winches with twice the force for handle turn. That said, the stock winch was just fine on both of my Yamahas and power loading is the only way I ever did it. Once you have the hang of it, it is fast and simple. I also had the Smith guide posts on both boats that help with knowing where center bunk is on the approach. Wind and waves can make any loading a bigger challenge but thats where the guide posts help a little to keep the stern from blowing out. Anyway, drive on, power up, leave the power up while you winch tight, power down, and haul out. Things of importance...safety cable always, make sure the bow eye bolt is completely seated under and against the bow eye roller, or movement can damage your boat.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I never power load. I've just seen too much damage from people being idiots at the ramp doing so that has me hand winch it on everytime. Once I stop the boat and retrieve the trailer, I don't start the boat again until I am cleaning it. I boat in a river with current and don't feel comfortable enough to know I can keep it straight approaching the trailer.

I'd love to know why Yamaha recommends power loading.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never power load. last few turns of the winch require some effort, but well worth it. lubricated bunks help quite a bit. Use a push and ropes to get in position, as soon as it does not float anymore, winch up. Done.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I also feel if the trailer is in the water more than 30 seconds its too long.

Thats my wife backing up, after I killed the engines I heard the guy at the dock to my left (putting in) say to his wife "why cant you do that".... BWAHA HA AH AHA HA he ruined that boat trip !

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never power load. last few turns of the winch require some effort, but well worth it. lubricated bunks help quite a bit. Use a push and ropes to get in position, as soon as it does not float anymore, winch up. Done.
x2

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I also feel if the trailer is in the water more than 30 seconds its too long.

Thats my wife backing up, after I killed the engines I heard the guy at the dock to my left (putting in) say to his wife "why cant you do that".... BWAHA HA AH AHA HA he ruined that boat trip !
Damn, that's some crazy good timing and teamwork!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Add me to the non power loading group.

I do drive it on at the couple of ramps near me that demand it but the boat loads easy and winches up easy enough for me.