• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Ramps, Stingrays and Lowtide=Dilemma

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have my 252 FSH down here in Baja. Remote spot with a crude, but very usable ramp. There is a pier of sorts that sticks out a few feet from a concrete abutment that you can nose up to to pick up or drop off your truck and trailer driver (my wife) at launch and retrieve. It is not something you would ever tie off to. It's all metal and would trash your boat.

Ok, the fun begins when we have a low tide. You can not get in close enough to have someone get to the pier. I end up about 3 to 5 feet short with the keel beaching in sand. The easy solution would be jump off and wade to shore. But this place is loaded with stingrays. My wife has been hit as have many other people trying to get their tow rigs. Doing the shuffle walk isn't always effective and a mistake is very painful. Not worth the risk.
One idea I have, but haven't tried it yet would be to put an anchor out the stern in 5 or 6 feet of water, motor in bow first to the sandy beach next to the pier at 5 to 6 mph while spooling line out the back. Cut the motors and bump aground at a good clip. This should be shallow enough water to see and reach over with the gaff and "sweep" for any stingrays before jumping off the bow.
I would then be able to pull the boat back out with the rope and anchor. My concern is if the anchor doesn't hold strong enough to pull the boat, I have a beached boat, surrounded by stingrays and I'm running out of beer!

Does the collective wisdom have any other ideas?
I don't want to miss days like this due to low tide.50053.jpeg50051.jpeg

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe a bit naive.........but how about shoes or boots just for that purpose?

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Stingray gators....hmm.
Would still need to throw out an anchor to pull away in shallow water.

Last edited:

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Could be viable.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Instead of an anchor consider getting and using a shore spike. I’ve set them in water deep enough that I can’t stand before and the built in hammer makes this and recovery possible. Other than this, I’m thinking boogie board or tube to shore from the boat. Standard Paddle boards are too big to keep onboard just for this use and the inflatables take too long to set up and stow.
IMG_4847.png

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Good old rock, paper, scissors to see who get to wade to shore. Or flip coin. You definitely need a two sided coin. 😁😁😁

I know I’m not much help but I couldn’t resist.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Swim/float to shore...don't walk. If you walk, use a pole in front of you to clear the way.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length