• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat stereo battery bank

John90

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
hey y’all! I’m sure this has been discussed before. But as every radio I’m gonna make another thread.

I recently bought a 2014 Yamaha 242s and being a 30 year old child it’s already at the audio shop having a new stereo installed. Once it’s finished it’s going to have:
Jl 800.8v2 powering 6 wetsound 6.5 and the tower tweeters as they’re wired into the other speakers
Rockford fosgate 600.4m powering 2 wetsound rev10
Polk audio pa d4000.4 powering 4 wetsound 6.5
Wetsound 600watt rms mono amp powering 2 10” IB wetsound subs
Kicker cxa 1800.1 powering 2 12” kicker cvx subs

To power it I was planning to have 2 starting batteries and 3 or 4 everstar 29DC. As they’re at Walmart for 85$. The stereo bank will be separate from the starting batteries. And be shore charged only. Normal listening will be:

Underway: 80-100% volume
In cove : 40-80% with majority being at 40-60% most of the day will be spent in the cove

Listen to mostly hip/hop and rock. Day lasts about 8 hours...

So my question is, will these ever start batteries be good enough to run the stereo for the entire day, with no charging? Sorry if this has been asked before and I and didn’t see it

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not really but a boat question but more a electrical question. You will need to determine your amp draw and then see if the batteries can easily support it. However, playing music for 8 hours... I would always go with a deep cycle. No question about it.

That is a ton of speakers, I have feeling without some tuning it is going to get sloppy.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is some serious draw. I will start with the batteries and then touch on a few things you or the installer may want to think about. A bank of good golf cart batteries may be the best suited for this while being cost effective. The downside if maintaining electrolyte levels. A bank of AGM batteries will cost a bit more but are maintenance free. Sams club has good prices on AGM. If the sky is the limit on the budget the lithium ion is the absolute best. I would not consider anything but those three types. By bank I mean multiple batteries is parallel or series as one battery alone will become serverly depleted very quickly with that load and heat will be an issue.

You will need some serious wire for that set up. You may want to consider installing the amps near the batteries to keep the run shorter. There will be a good amount of heat generated from those amps particularly the mono amp running two subs. Finally charging will be an issue with our eninges having stators instead of alternators. You will want to install a smart charger to maintain the battery bank. Make sure that the rca cable signla is not being split in how they are connected. Tuning the system will be important as already mentioned.

Be careful around small children as that setup is going to ROCK everything around it!

Lastly update us on how everything turns out and include phots so we can all drool.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The tower tweeters are really not good, and completely meaningless with the rest of that arsenal. Not to mention they'll probably blow instantly wired into that amp.

Why 5 different brands of amps? Why 2 different sized subwoofers? No offence, but that all just sounds like a mess. I'm an amateur at best, and can think of many different ways to build/power a better system. Sounds like setting up a couple different zones would be beneficial to you as well, and also aid in power consumption.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Underway: 80-100% volume
Looking at what your installing... I would imagine no one would be left in your boat should you turn it up to 100%! Good luck with the system, reads like it is gonna rock!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow man you really want to be heard don’t you?! I don’t have nearly the draw you will have, but I’m running two group 31 AGM’s from Sam’s Club and never had an issue with running out of juice. I’m running 1 JL m800, a JL m200, and a Wet Sounds Syn dx4 powering rev 10’s. I recommend adding a ws420 EQ so you can have multiple zones.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also echoing @veedubtek on the tweeters. I would just unhook them. That’s what I did on my ‘15 242 ls. They are going to be worthless with that system. You could then run two more 6.5’s on those two channels.

John90

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay so after much conversation with the installer and from your reply’s. Went a much more expensive route lmao.

Ended up installing

Wetsounds:
Revo6 x10 powered by a sdx6 (wired @2ohms on 5 channels 1 empty for future)
4 rev10 on a syn 2.3 wired @ 2 ohm on 2 channels
2 10” IB subs on a htx1

Kicker:
2 cxv 12s on a cvx 1800.1 in a ported box

Left the tweeters unhooked per suggestions.

4 everstart group 29dc batteries. After the audio system the budget didn’t allow for splurging on the AMG batteries atm. Should I add another group 29? Or will 4 be enough for the time?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
4 REv10? I would hate to be around your boat lol.

Honestly - without getting technical best way is just to go out and enjoy it... and watch your voltage! It may be best for you to get a multi-position battery switch, and dedicate one battery for starting.

John90

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, I’ve read the charging system on these boats isn’t exactly amazing. Should I disconnect the stereo bank from the charging system? And just shore charge?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I wouldn't disconnect it, but I would be sure to have your starting battery separate and put in a ACR to automatically control the charging.

And, yes, you need a solid shore charging system. Because even with the ACR you will get minimal charging from running.