• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Surveyor and Certified Yamaha Tech Question.

Cloudy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm getting close to making a purchase on a 242 yamaha and as this is our first boat purchase I wanted to ensure I'm taking all the right precautions to ensure we are buying a good boat. I have talked with a surveyor and got a quote for his services but still need to find a certified Yamaha tech to check the engine and had a couple of questions.
1) The boat is in Florida and I'm not sure how I go about finding a certified tech. Is there a site I can utilize to find a certified tech near the boat's location?
2) The surveyor described that he wants to obviously demo on water during his inspection but once I acquire the motor tech does he/she need to be on the water demo too or can they check on shore? I live 1000+miles away (I wont be able to visit the boat till I make the actual purchase but trust the pics, tech, and surveyor more than my opinion as I'm newer to boats) so I want to make sure I coordinate everything properly to make it as hassle free for the surveyor, tech, and dealer.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting close to making a purchase on a 242 yamaha and as this is our first boat purchase I wanted to ensure I'm taking all the right precautions to ensure we are buying a good boat. I have talked with a surveyor and got a quote for his services but still need to find a certified Yamaha tech to check the engine and had a couple of questions.
1) The boat is in Florida and I'm not sure how I go about finding a certified tech. Is there a site I can utilize to find a certified tech near the boat's location?
2) The surveyor described that he wants to obviously demo on water during his inspection but once I acquire the motor tech does he/she need to be on the water demo too or can they check on shore? I live 1000+miles away (I wont be able to visit the boat till I make the actual purchase but trust the pics, tech, and surveyor more than my opinion as I'm newer to boats) so I want to make sure I coordinate everything properly to make it as hassle free for the surveyor, tech, and dealer.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Can't help with FL certified techs or inspectors, but also keep in mind some of the years/models have specific issues, it may help if you ask abotu a specific MY as members with experience may chime in. For example, 2010/2011 240s had oil cooler bolts shearing, things like that.

Knowing what I know I would like my inspector to be familiar with the brand of jet boats, and I would take a jet ski tech over a person who may be an accomplished inspector but without much jet boat exposure. IMO.

Are you planning to be there for the water test? There is some very good advice in FAQ section here on what to expect which may easy your transition into jet boats.

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing you'll have to look out for if you're intent on finding a Yamaha certified tech, is making sure they are familiar with the jetboats. I'd wager that most people who advertise themselves as such are likely more in the outboard camp. Given that these are just typical runabout boats, a full marine survey may be a bit over the top. A 242 will be a relatively newer boat, and I'd see if you can find a Yamaha dealer that would do a prepurchase inspection at your cost (assuming your buying private party, and not from a dealer).

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buying a boat so far away can really create a lot of undesirable complexities. While it can sometimes make sense to “go the distance” for the right boat, 1000 miles puts you in a much weaker negotiating position and you are less likely to personally walk away from unfavorable findings on the test due to all of the time and money you invested even getting to that point. Are there not viable boats closer?

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Buying a boat so far away can really create a lot of undesirable complexities. While it can sometimes make sense to “go the distance” for the right boat, 1000 miles puts you in a much weaker negotiating position and you are less likely to personally walk away from unfavorable findings on the test due to all of the time and money you invested even getting to that point. Are there not viable boats closer?
Agreed...I would wait until something closer comes up for sale, or look for a different model/brand. I am very particular when making large purchases so I prefer to inspect and test drive myself- this means I rarely look more than 50 miles from home for something used.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mechanic and surveyor will cost more and give you less info than thorough inspection of your own if you are unable to be present.

Purchase you own certified mechanic inspector (compression gauge) and go measure the compression and drive the boat hard, and look everywhere. Won't take but 3 hours once you are there. If the boat is a potential great deal it will be worth it. I drove 600 miles for mine.

If there is nothing saving you $1500 or more, or a special feature or color motivating you, consider other local options.