• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Tinted Window

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone tinted the glass window on their boat? I thinking of doing it but I am wondering if this is just a dumb idea. I was thinking of doing maybe a 30% tint. Nothing too dark.

I was also thinking of the advantages and disadvantages of tinting. For one I know that a disadvantage would be night driving. Although I never plan to use the boat late at night. An advantage other then aesthetic can be a little more shade during certain times of the day.

I would like the know the boating communities thoughts about this. And is it even legal to do?

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I tinted mine a few years back and love it changes the whole appearance of the boat I went with 20 and it looks good I wanted limo but my tint guy said I wouldn't like it .

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I don't think a windshield is a required item on a boat so I doubt it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's the trick to getting it to lay in the curved windshield? I did my sides but the film wouldn't lay in the curve near the edges of the windshield. The middle of the curve was fine.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did mine myself and went with the 5% static cling tint. Handles the curve of the windshield very well, because it's thicker. Keeps the dash, and anything on it, cool to the touch.

20150405_120757-1.jpg

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What's the trick to getting it to lay in the curved windshield? I did my sides but the film wouldn't lay in the curve near the edges of the windshield. The middle of the curve was fine.
Use soapy water and get the tint in place. Squeegee the water out. Then use a hair dryer to heat the outside of the glass while you continue to squeegee the tint. Make sure to spray some soapy water on the tint while you squeegee, so you don't pull it or scratch it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did that all but the hair dryer. Will give it a shot again. Thanks!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is 15% and I love it, it really does keep the cockpit cooler (on the dash anyway).
The professional tint guy said the curve was the hardest he had ever done.

One thing to think about, who ever is sitting in the passenger seat pretty much can't see through the front if the pass through is open.
My passengers are usually sitting backwards looking out back unless they are in the bow so I haven't had any complaints about it, I always keep my seat in the lounge position anyway.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Laying the film over the surface you want to apply it and then some light heat to help form it is what the tint guys used to do back when I installed stereos at a shop that also did tinting. They do this before so they can shape it and trim for an exact fit. Then soapy solution and use a squeegee + heat to help coax the film into submission.

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question for you guys. Do you ever use the windshield to see out of it while driving the boat? Or is this not an option when the windshield is tinted?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Laying the film over the surface you want to apply it and then some light heat to help form it is what the tint guys used to do back when I installed stereos at a shop that also did tinting. They do this before so they can shape it and trim for an exact fit. Then soapy solution and use a squeegee + heat to help coax the film into submission.
Hmmm. That's a good idea. Pre form it before even pulling off the backing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmmm. That's a good idea. Pre form it before even pulling off the backing.
There are a bunch of good videos on youtube showing different techniques for tinting on a curved surface. Preshrinking the tint to the shape of the surface is essential to getting a good result. I've tinted a few doors and helped with the back glass a few times and it's all a matter of patience and understanding how to work the tint before ever thinking of pulling off the backing. I'm certainly a novice at it but anyone can learn to tint and get pretty decent results. Like painting a car, the end result is all from the prep work.

Here's a list of videos for tinting on a curved surface https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tinting+curved+windows. You'll notice everyone has their own preference either using a dry or wet method for holding the film but everyone uses heat to help shrink and form the tint to the surface. when you take the film off the surface and go ot install it you'll see it will literally hold itself very nicely to the surface because it has been preformed to the shape.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for you guys. Do you ever use the windshield to see out of it while driving the boat? Or is this not an option when the windshield is tinted?
I rarely sit down all the way while driving so I'm usually looking over the windshield.

But I have sat down before when I was out in cooler weather and couple times during a rain, I wouldn't want to rely on looking through it at night, during a sunny day it is fine.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I look through the occasionally...it can be difficult...no sunglasses needed that's for sure.

Typically I'll look through if pulling a wakeboard or tube all the while remaining ever so vigilant with my scan. Gotta be on your game with dark tint.

dcnorman07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got mine tinted last week with 5% and love it! No issues seeing while driving (although I do sit above the window all the time). Hardest part was finding someone around here to do it. It actually does help with the sun while anchored out, as well.

IMG_7247.JPG

Last edited:

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got mine tinted last week with 5% and love it! No issues seeing while driving (although I do sit above the window all the time). Hardest part was finding someone around here to actually do it. It actually does help with the sun while anchored out, as well.

View attachment 61645
Who did you tint...I had mine done two weeks ago by California Customs off I-35 and 82nd.

dcnorman07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who did you tint...I had mine done two weeks ago by California Customs off I-35 and 82nd.
Rogue Elite in Mustang. It was $300 and has a lifetime warranty