• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat to roller

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it nessasary to bring the boat all the way up and past the roller on the trailer or can there be a cap between the too if its strapped and chained?

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is it nessasary to bring the boat all the way up and past the roller on the trailer or can there be a cap between the too if its strapped and chained?
What I found with mine is that the bow bounces around when traveling if it's not supported by the roller. Still may be safe, I don't know. But it bounces.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it necessary to bring the boat all the way up and past the roller on the trailer or can there be a cap between the too if its strapped and chained?
As tight as possible, many use a "5mph hard stop maneuver" to push the boat forward on the trailer. Before getting out on a highway. I do.

Bouncing around is one thing, but the bigger issue is that with a gap between the boat and the bow stop the boat can become a missile during emergency braking. You don't want to have any space for the hull to be able to move forward and accelerate as the bow stop may not stop her - when going from 70 to 0mph in 100feet.

Okay, don't believe me?
Try the "5mph hard stop maneuver" but going a little bit faster, like 10-15 mph, see what happens when the bow moves a couple of inches and hits the bow stop... lol (hint: it will feel pretty jarring).

--

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it. We took the boat out yesterday and when cranking the boat to trailer all the way to the roller when I pulled out for some reason the boat shifted back off the roller why is that when it was tight to began with?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it. We took the boat out yesterday and when cranking the boat to trailer all the way to the roller when I pulled out for some reason the boat shifted back off the roller why is that when it was tight to began with?
It will(almost) always do that as the trailer flexes. A short "5mph hard stop" off the ramp will tack her nice onto the roller, then tighten the stern tie downs. After that the boat should not move on the treilr an the tie downs should not get any slack, no matter how far the tow.

--

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it okay to leave your dock bumpers attached to your outside of your boat at all times?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it okay to leave your dock bumpers attached to your outside of your boat at all times?
If you are launching or retrieving and you have trailer guide poles - no, they can jam w/a bumper.
Otherwise it depends, I tend to take them off when not in use, but I guess it is a personal preference.

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @swatski stated if you have trailer guideons just flip the FENDERS in the boat when launching & retrieving. Flip them back out when tying up to the dock.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
The gap happens after you pull the boat out of the water because of the angle of the trailer on the ramp in relation to the angle of the boat floating on the water. The more the angle the more the gap. I had this issue of the stern shifting to one side after cranking tight because my factory trailer winch post was welded off center and I had to redo. My boat is too heavy to slide forward when braking hard so I have to crank it tight on the roller on the ramp. The boat will bounce if not tight and strain the trailer frame. Don’t be too far in the water on the ramp and crank it tight to the roller.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The gap happens after you pull the boat out of the water because of the angle of the trailer on the ramp in relation to the angle of the boat floating on the water. The more the angle the more the gap
This ^^. The steeper the ramp the more exaggerated this effect is.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
This ^^. The steeper the ramp the more exaggerated this effect is.
I’m not hip to what ^^ means but I think we are saying the same thing. The greater the angle delta between the trailer bunk plane and the resting plane of the hull on the trailer the greater the gap between the bow and the roller as the two planes become parallel when exiting the water on the ramp.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I’m not hip to what ^^ means but I think we are saying the same thing. The greater the angle delta between the trailer bunk plane and the resting plane of the hull on the trailer the greater the gap between the bow and the roller as the two planes become parallel when exiting the water on the ramp.
LOL - I'm not hip either - was just "pointing" to your quote. i.e. agreeing with you. :winkingthumbsup"

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I would say “groovy” but that shows my age.

I feel hip now.