• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Value's Increasing

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like that two storage areas on the back that the 04-06 AR230’s had. I don’t know why they did away with them in 07. Now you waste storage space on batteries. I liked the mr1s but the 1.8s are way smoother.
I always liked those as well. I never knew they existed until I met a local with an AR230. Those little hatches could still have worked with the big "humps" on the redesigned 24' boats.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where were those storage compartments located exactly?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of toys are going up in price. Sports cars, boats, etc. Partially because new stuff is so expensive, and partially because the economy is going well and people can afford it.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All my ropes, bumpers, anchors, grill, toys, noodles would go in those holes

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All 230s had way less storage than the 15 and up 240/242
675gallons to 836gallons no comparison there
Untill you cut out the built in cooler and then relocate the batteries back beside the engines... all of that is a pain in the ass but it makes the boat much more useable.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's too bad we have no way to compare asking price to actual selling price. I think most would be surprised, that the actual selling price of most of these boats is much less.

There are so many boats advertised now with over inflated prices as they are comparing them to later models. A boat is never an investment if you are paying more than actual market value. I giggle when I see a boat like mine literally listed for 10-14K higher for the same exact model. Some are actually listing 7-8 year old boats at or just below their MSRP when new!

But who am I to say, if the market bears them a buyer, then the market is there. But most are fooling themselves looking for an un-educated buyer.

A good fallback is an NADA value, as it is based on actual sales in dealer showrooms, and not an estimate based on depreciation. Keeping in mind, it does not include private sales, which could be all over the board.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's too bad we have no way to compare asking price to actual selling price. I think most would be surprised, that the actual selling price of most of these boats is much less.

There are so many boats advertised now with over inflated prices as they are comparing them to later models. A boat is never an investment if you are paying more than actual market value. I giggle when I see a boat like mine literally listed for 10-14K higher for the same exact model. Some are actually listing 7-8 year old boats at or just below their MSRP when new!

But who am I to say, if the market bears them a buyer, then the market is there. But most are fooling themselves looking for an un-educated buyer.

A good fallback is an NADA value, as it is based on actual sales in dealer showrooms, and not an estimate based on depreciation. Keeping in mind, it does not include private sales, which could be all over the board.

Yep it's very common to see used boats listed using the equation MSRP of brand new of the same model less some depreciation.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my 05 AR230 for 14k in feb 2011. Got super lucky. When insurance totaled it out they gave me 26k back in oct. sounds better than it is. If I could have left it alone and not spent a lot of money upgrading like everyone on this site. Honestly I could careless about the money. It’s about family and memories.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some of those listings just don't move the price and will never sell. There was a 232 with no tower in Houston listed for quite a bit that had been sitting out for over a year. The plugs were stuck and the boat looked in disrepair. It was overpriced. The boat was still selling at that price for another year. Around $24k. Not sure what happened, but that's an overpriced listing.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who knows. Maybe his wife wants him to sell his boat so he lists it at a price that he knows no one will pay.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still love my '09 SX230. I'm glad to see it's holding its value - but like seeing the price of your stock go up, that only matters if you sell.

One thing about being a frugal boater is that I do my mods one year at a time. Some years it's been Thrust Vectors (an expensive add in my world), other years it's been as simple as a $12 beach umbrella for the stern stuffed into a pool-noodle stuffed into the table leg. The effect of this is that I'm adding functionality almost every year thus I get the feeling of a "new boat" almost every year.

This spring I'll be bolting on the Lateral Thrusters (another "expensive" upgrade in terms of my boat-budget). I'm looking forward to the difference that will make.

So far, the two most popular mods with my family have been the sun shade umbrella over the bow and the roll-up changing room that hangs from the bimini (we are a modest crowd).

One of my favorites has been the ThrottleSynch attachment to the throttles.

As the kids have gotten older and we seem to have less time on the water (last year being the worst), I think more and more about selling but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet.

She's a good little ship and would make someone very happy, but she's still making me happy so I think I'll keep her around for a while.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not looking to argue but curious why you think the 07-09 230s are some of the best Yamahas.
This is why:

Please, do not try this with your new Yamaha! It would not end well, quickly, LOL.

Back then, it was a company that had passion and energy, and they actually cared about their product.
Today? It’s seems all marketing and gimmicks, they must have lost major talent after 2008-2009 boat market crash, when their leadership completely changed.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is why:

Please, do not try this with your new Yamaha! It would not end well, quickly, LOL.

Back then, it was a company that had passion and energy, and they actually cared about their product.
Today? It’s seems all marketing and gimmicks, they must have lost major talent after 2008-2009 boat market crash, when their leadership completely changed.

Insane

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All 230s had way less storage than the 15 and up 240/242
675gallons to 836gallons no comparison there
230s have a hull that does not cave in when you push on it, windshields that do not flip backwards when you hit a wave and no timing chain surprises!

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is why:

Best Bimini run yet!

ddoll2k9

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought a 2004 SX230 in 2011 with trailer for $14,500. Put a shit ton of hours on it, rebuilt the pumps, new vinyl, and a couple of stereos. Sold it last June for $8,000. Had a lot of saltwater thru it and needed some TLC. I am still happy with the whole deal. The boat didn't owe us a penny from all the fun we had.

I think the storage on the new boats is a lot better as well as the overall layout. That said, I can't do "sub moves" any more, but my electronics on the 2018 AR240 are on the floor and wouldn't take the salt water even if I could.