• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating near Topsail Island, NC?

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boating has been 100% local lakes since we bought the boat, but a week stay at the beach coming up I've decided to bring the SX190 along. We'll be staying at Topsail Island (Surf City), NC., anyone from the NC/SC/VA area been boating there? If anyone has recommendations on places to stay or cool day itineraries I'd really like to hear about them. My plan is to put in at the public park near the old swing bridge and just explore a little bit.

It'll be our first time boating at the coast, so we'll probably stick with the Intracoastal unless the water is super calm. I have a marine radio with DSC/MMSI, and printing out tide tables so I don't end up on Qualified Captain as I've see other jetboaters already have.

I've been wanting to do this for a very long time, it took a lot of negotiating to convince the fleet admiral that the trailer wouldn't flip over on the way there, that the salt won't rust out our boat, and that we will not be dealing with 20' swells. At least I hope none of that happens :)

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i don’t have input for you on that area but interested on your findings. I did tow our sx190 to Tampa last year and it was fun to be in salt water. Very different and felt sooooo vast. But can’t beat dolphins and sandbars. Have fun and let us know what you find/see

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Maccam26 even just trailering the thing that far is a new experience for me.. our usual itinerary is towing the boat about half a mile from storage into the lake and back. Farthest I've ever towed was when I bought it in Sanford back to Apex, which I think is maybe 40ish miles.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Maccam26 even just trailering the thing that far is a new experience for me.. our usual itinerary is towing the boat about half a mile from storage into the lake and back. Farthest I've ever towed was when I bought it in Sanford back to Apex, which I think is maybe 40ish miles.
If you keep your bearings up to par, you should be good. It’s good to get out of the comfort zone sometimes, just take your time launching since new docks etc..

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is my stomping ground!! Just got off the water. The park you’ll be launching from is “Sound side park”. Get there early as parking fills up fast on weekends.
Lee or Ashe island is the place to go. When you leave the park head south and then at the “preferred channel marker take a left and head towards south topsail island. Ashe island is right across form the water tower. Lee island is a bit further down, cross the inlet and it’s on the left. My favorite place to go. Hands down. Calm water, no wake (unofficial) and water is usually clearer. Plus a couple always brings their miniature pony on their pontoon boat!!!
Get there early as it always fills up fast.
Daddy Macs is a very yummy and casual fine dinning spot.
Shaka taco is supper yummy and a good quick bite.
Coast wing and spirit is always a good choice.
The salty turtle is a great spot for beer and a food truck.
Plenty of other casual spots.
Where are you staying?
If you don’t have a spot try to get a beach house or a cabin on the water.
Other than the beach/boating, not much to do, due to Covid.

Feel free to private message me and I’ll give you my number. Text me when you are here and I can try to go out on my boat and show ya the waterway. Would be my pleasure.
Hit me up with any other questions!!

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@mkbcaptain thanks! I'm hitting up Google maps now to check Ashe and Lee.

We're renting a house just north of the new roundabout--we've been going to Surf City/Topsail for years but never took a boat before, I'm so excited to try something new.

Are most of the eating places takeout only right now, or do they have outside tables?

BTW are you guys expecting much from Isaias? We're in Raleigh looks like we'll get a good bit of rain but not a ton of wind

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Meh from the storm. Just some Wind and rain.
It’s about 50/50 of places that allow indoor eating. Just call ahead.
I’ve lived here for over 15 years. Best place in the US to live. I mean, everyone comes here for vacation! Haha
Just hit me up when you get here!