• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boats in!! Trolling motor battery question

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To Stiver, I am under the impression that the floor in the changing room is the second hull. So you should be able to screw into it. But verify with someone who is more knowledgeable than me. There is also, sand the finish of the floor, and fiberglass the mount down. You might want to put the boat in the water and check the (balance) listing, before you get to far into your installation.

To fatboyroy, those Lithiums, are down right pretty!!! That is the future. Don't even need battery boxes.
Ya and it’s so light I didn’t need much force to secure it

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My dealer install 36v mounted 3 group 31 lead acid batteries forward of the changing room. This winter I will either switch to 1 36v LiFeP04 or 3 12v LiFe's in that location. @fatboyroy Are those group 27 or 31's?

Attachments

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My dealer install 36v mounted 3 group 31 lead acid batteries forward of the changing room. This winter I will either switch to 1 36v LiFeP04 or 3 12v LiFe's in that location. @fatboyroy Are those group 27 or 31's?
it’s group 27 12v 80ah

ninja098

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I am aware you asked about installation in the changing room, I also was going to do that, and thought I would share why I didn't. I just finished my install 10 days ago, on a 2022 190 Deluxe. I installed a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova I Pilot Link, 2 Group 27 AGM sealed batteries, Minn Kota MK220PC battery charger, HumminBird Helix 10. Minn Kota motor plug assembly. I used the stock Yamaha mount that came with the boat. I am happy with the install. I have used it 5 times so far and only charged the batteries twice. So, although Minn Kota recommends group 31, the 27s have worked fine, and fits in the enclosed storage area easier. I know you asked about batteries, but I thought I would share this info also. I will share more battery info in the next post.

I had a hard decision where to mount the trolling motor. These boats, from the factory list to the left (Port). So I had to figure out how to add the weight of trolling motor to the port side, and not make the listing worse. I had planned to install the batteries and charger in changing/potty room. I put the boat in the water to try out the listing, and found out it was just to heavy on the port side. I was then convinced that the batteries had to go toward starboard as much as possible, to balance the boat in the water. I would not get the results I wanted putting them in the changing room.

Per the pictures, I mounted the trolling motor on the port side, so that when retracted, it lined up with the port gunwale, out of the way. The bracket is mounted so that the forward most part of the mounting bracket was about 1/16 of an inch off the gelcoat. I was concerned about this due to another posted commented that the bracket was damaging the gelcoat. I then lifted up on the bracket and glued a small piece of plastic (3M 5200) to give the bracket support. This firmed up the bracket a lot. I will silicone this area once I am sure it is a permanent solution. The motor is pretty secure in the retracted position. This motor has a 60 inch shaft, which is too long, but I wanted to use as is for a while, before I shortened it. Cost to shorten is about $130 at a local authorized Minn Kota service, locale in Naples, Fl.
I have a 2022 195 fsh wanting to install a minn kota ulterra trolling motor on it with the supplied bracket like yours, but was told it needed to be close to the centerline of the bow as possible ?? How does your stay in location? any drifting, steering issues?
thx

Marco Island Life

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If there is no wind or current, it drifts in different directions, and corrects itself, sometimes quite drastically. If there is a constant current, like the tide going out, its stays right in place on the GPS anchor. It is best to be on the centerline, but I am glad I put it to the side. I haven't used it on a saved track, or contour, so I can not give any input on that.

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lithium batteries have been installed and now I need to install the Trolling Motor. I assume with the MinnKota quick release bracket I need to drill more holes in the Yamaha mounting bracket?

Attachments

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lithium batteries have been installed and now I need to install the Trolling Motor. I assume with the MinnKota quick release bracket I need to drill more holes in the Yamaha mounting bracket?
the outside hole of the quick release matches factory OEM bracket holes, put some screws on it to secure while you drill hole for the quick release part that would be permanently mounted in the bracket

the_stiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
the outside hole of the quick release matches factory OEM bracket holes, put some screws on it to secure while you drill hole for the quick release part that would be permanently mounted in the bracket
Hmm do you have a picture for reference? No rush