• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BoatUS or NBOA for Tow?

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BoatUS - $90 a year for unlimited Freshwater Tow - $14 a year for trailer assist = Total of $104 a year.

NBOA - $75 a year for unlimited on water towing coverage -includes trailer tow assist - $150 a claim appears to be the limit though.

Experiences? Better value? Price is comparable but I just want to know who is best. I don't care who I sign up with if I need a tow I want to know they will be there. Thanks!

A $150 limit, even in fresh water, would not be a good idea.

FWIW, I went through BoatUS for my insurance (Geico), and it includes towing/trailer assist as part of the insurance. My towing covers me in the US up to 75 miles off the coast. My total cost is just over $300 for 32K hull and 500K liability.

Ok... yeah getting BoatUS quote and NBOA quote for insurance so will check to see about the add on for towing.

To clarify the $150 limit on NBOA is on the trailer assist part not the boat towing part which is unlimited.

I got my first tow back to ramp and thank God for Gieco and Boat US.
Saved me $350 tow.

A $150 limit, even in fresh water, would not be a good idea.

FWIW, I went through BoatUS for my insurance (Geico), and it includes towing/trailer assist as part of the insurance. My towing covers me in the US up to 75 miles off the coast. My total cost is just over $300 for 32K hull and 500K liability.

Which tow service do you see on the water more? Where I boat, I see Seatow 3:1 over BoatUS out on the water, so that's who I signed up with. Make sure you read the fine print on the insurance endorsements, I've seen some that offer very low caps, like $600 max - any considerable distance, or if you were grounded, you'll exceed that in a hurry.

Anyone have any comments on AAA versus BoatUS or similar for "on the road while trailering" coverage?

Realized the Q7 doesn't have a spare tire (after I bought it of course), and I'm pretty sure I don't want to tow with runflats at any level. So even a basic flat tire is going to leave me calling someone in for help if I'm towing something. Would like to hedge my bets on that front if I can. Don't mind having it towed to the nearest tire shop, or nearest Yamaha dealership, just don't want to have to leave the boat on the side of the road until I can find a way to get a new tire on the tow vehicle and get back to the boat.

Anyone have any experience with getting towed WHILE you have the boat hooked to the TV?

I have overlapping coverage, just in case. AAA is my insurance company. They will tow the boat under my AAA membership as well as coverage under policy, as well as tow the boat and TV separately if needed. I have never used it though so no actual experience. I also have BoatUS Towing their highest level. Figured at that price it is a no brainer.

Last edited:
FWIW, my BoatUS policy limits for towing/trailer assist: Boat towing $3K and trailer assist $1.5K per incident (should be enough for anything.

Boat US, but to be fair I don't have any knowledge of NBOA. I have only used it once with my old boat ,but the boat died in heavy traffic area with lots of current so they saved my butt.

It's like $7 more to add to my Progressive insurance policy.

Amazing
I had to use the BoatUs trailer tow service last Sunday.
My van differential broke. They towed my van on the flat bed and pulled my boat behind the tow truck. $1200 tow bill for a 52 mile tow. (100 mile max)
Tow truck driver said whatever insurance company you have they are great, don't ever change or cancel them. BoatUs gave the tow company a credit card over the phone and you are paid and done.

Attachments

• 20210509_201334.jpg
    20210509_201334.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
No experience with NBOA but plenty with boat u.s/tow boat road aide service. I’m staying with them for as long as they will have me. Saved my ass many times at no additional cost than my annual fee (plus generous tips) after every save. At the same time if NBOA was more popular/visible in my area than tow boat u.s. I would go with them.

i went with the lowest coverage possible with boat u.s. and it now costs me $150 per year, when I first signed up almost 20 years ago I paid around $50. When i did need on water assistance I quickly realized the minimum coverage was not enough in that I needed to be towed 30 miles on the waterbut my policy was only good for 5 or 10 miles. Anything over the limit is expensive I can recall if it was per mile or hour but remember the quote coming back at around $150 per.

I am also a platinum aaa member. If you want their trailer coverage you need to add it to your regular plan, I think it cost me $45. It didn’t work out for me, I needed a tow from the lake to home and they first said we have a service provider in your area with the right tow truck, he should be there withinan hour. Three hours laterthey called back and said the service provider doesn’t serve my area, so they had to find another. The alternative called me to say the truck is not available until tomorrow, call back tomorrow. I cancelled that part of my policy the same day, just three days after I bought it and they charged me $15 for the coverage I had.

another time, aaa told me that they didn’t want to get involved, my trailer and boat separated from my tow vehicle, all I needed was a floor Jack to reconnect everything. Aaa would not even refer me to a local towing company.I called tow boatUS and they sent a guy out within 20 minutes.

another memorable event: both trailer tires on the same side went flat at the ramp. Tow boat sent a guy out with a mobile shop who mounted two tires on rims and replaced both tires for me. I had to wait a few hours but at least I didn’t have to stay overnight. The prices were fair but I realized later that the tires were alreadyor almost 10 years old, so they started dry rotting fast and needed to be replaced less than a year later.

overall tow boat u.s. all the way, for me anyway.

@Ronnie Good information. I do have the Trailer Package on my AAA but doesn't sound like they followed through. I also have Boat US, so hopefully I am covered if I need one of them.

@Ronnie and @dan144k Thanks for the feedback. I'll be getting a BoatUS subscription before our first tow this year. Have a trip to the gulf planned as well. Sounds like cheap insurance.

Another good tow story for everyone.
A friend of mine his Chevy Tahoe had car problems in Indianapolis driving home from a Florida vacation heading home to Chicago a few years ago.

He had triple AAA. He called and got a 100mile tow, then his wife called and got a 100mile tow. Then the next day he called again and got another 100 mile tow. All for free from triple AAA.

@dan144k , I asked my aaa rep about doing the same thing since my neighbor was able to do so a few years ago but made all three calls himself. My rep said aaa closed the lop hole by requiring that the consecutive towing of the same vehicle be done. On separate accounts, my rep went onto say that my wife and I could not do it because we are on the same account. I support of his position he cited the fact we have a combined limit of three tows per year on our account at the time. I’ve since upgraded my coverage to the max but don’t really know what that means distance or occurrence wise.

Back