• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a project 1999 ls2000 for 800$

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hello first time boat owner, new to boats, jet boats, and two strokes. So I bought a 1999 ls2000 off a friend for 800$ was told one of the motors was locked up. I let the boat sit for 3 years before diving into it I finally last week put a battery in it and tried to turn over the motors, port motor turned over starboard motor just clicked, after trying to jump the starter I took it off and tried it again starter was busted ( literally the neck of it was snapped ) so I took the coupling cover off and was able to turn the motor over by hand so I got lucky.

Now for questions I need a Bimini top I have the bars, is there a way to get oem top or should I do aftermarket or custom by giving measurements….
I need a cover it has the buttons around the boat to snap on a cover but I can’t seem to find one online all are aftermarket and made for any boat at different lengths, I went to a upholstery shop and after measurements they gave me a price of 2500$ and I’m not ready to sink that much into a cover when I can get a tarp to do the same for 100$ So is there a place I can get oem tops without offering my first born ?
gas gauge says empty but it was full oil light was on but has 3/4 of the tank so I’m going to try and tackle that today, when I got the port motor running it seemed to smoke a lot and there was actual oil misting out of the exhaust which I doubt is normal.
Biggest question being new to these boats what are some have to do’s and should do’s for maintenance or to make the boat run/ perform better? I’ve seen threads about air fuel separating and changing things in the carbs but I am ignorant to all of that.

E9650973-28BB-407F-81FF-B4FE731CD80A.jpegsorry for grammar and punctuation let me know if you can give me some advice ! Thank you

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Can't help on the benimi top

As far as a cover I don't think snap covers are factory but I could be wrong. An oem ls2000 cover can be bought for about $600 on ebay or mabe shop around. A universal boat cover can be bought by boat length and boat width for $100 or so.

Gas gauge problems were very common it could be the sender it could be the gauge search the fourm for help and here is a manual to help troubleshoot YAMAHA LST1200X1999 SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download

The oil light either the float is stuck at the bottom or it doesn't float in the oil no more.

Smoke with a two stroke is normal add three year old gas to that and it will Smoke worse.

Oil out the exhaust will probably clear up after it runs a bit assuming it still has the oil injection, when it sits oil can seep past the pop off valves/check valves in the oil lines into the motor from head pressure in the oil tank and fill the engine with oil, also when the engine sits any oil in it and the exhaust will condense and comes out in droplets instead of a mist.

*most important if it still has the oil injection the oil lines from the pumps to the air boxes were known to be too short and poorly secured with plastic zip ties and would fall off causing an engine failure either the lines need replaced and secured with clamps or safety wire or it needs converted to pre-mix. (I personally would change the lines)

If it still has a plastic scupper valve change it they were known to brake off were they passed through the hull and you would end up with a 2" hole in the back of your boat.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
The engines can be run for 15 seconds without water. When running on a hose never run the hose without the engine running. Procedure is start engine then turn the water on, before shutting the engine off turn the water off.

Thre clean out plugs should easily go in and out if not you can buy rebuild kits with new seals. The clean out plugs should also lock security in place. At a minimum tie the clean out plugs together so if you blow one it doesn't get lost in the water. Cobra locks would be a good investment to help keep the plugs from blowing out.

As far as making it run/perform better start with making sure it runs right it should go 50-55mph on gps and the engines should run about 7000rpm. If it doesn't check the compression it should be 105-125psi. New spark plugs and fuel filters can never hurt. If the carburetors need rebuilt only use genuine mikuni rebuild kits.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thank you , a new problem today ….. I got my new starter in “ what I assumed was wrong with the motor because I was able to turn it over at the coupling and the old start would t move even off the motor… well it turned over and jammed as in the starter won’t move anymore but I can still turn the motor over by hand after research I believe there is something wrong with an item known as the “ bendix” I’m not sure what could happen to it or what caused it but I’m debating if I have to take the motor out to replace it because it’s under the crank or if I can take off that front magneto cover and fix it from there.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
The bendix can be changed in the boat. Pull the magneto cover then the flywheel with a standard steering wheel puller. Be sure and watch out for and put back the flywheel key and there is a spring and two washers in the magneto cover bearing hole for the bendix.

I would verify you can turn the motor over by hand in the correct direction atleast 1+ revolution I can't see how a benidix could jam the motor. Sometimes the jet pump ware ring liner can swell and jam the impeller.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So after taking on this task I first took out the 2 bolts holding the oil pump on the cover then took off the 2 hoses going to the grease fitting and the one bolted to the block ( unknown use ) and the cable moved it out of the way took off the cover and then pulled the balancer and this is what I discovered “ attached photos “ missing teeth 3 on one side 1 on the other already ordered the new one should be in on Thursday.
side question is it better to delete the oil pumps and run premix or keep the pumps , was thinking about it today and if a pump fails or a line fails then the motors done for where as premix you don’t have to worry about that ?

Attachments

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Be sure and bleed all the air out of the oil lines and secure them properly with clamps or safety wire if you put the pumps back on, it would be a good idea just to replace the lines also. This link to oil line replacement will help Yamaha Jet Boaters • Login

Oil injection vs premix is a never ending debate

Oil injection: The oil pumps NEVER fail, the oil lines can fall off, the fillers can plug, or the tank can be run dry all causing an engine failure.

Pre-mix: You or someone else that fills your boat can mess up the mix it only takes one bad day, the carburetors can plug, or a pulse line can crack or fall off all causing an engine failure.

If you decide to remove your oil injection i would pay shipping for you to send it to me. I would even send you the block off plates from my boat.

Last edited:

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
After reading into it last night I’m going to keep the oil injection due to carb blockage possibilities, is there a specific oil line I should do I noticed before the filter is a big line and then off filters and pumps are small lines that are really hard

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
You know what could have happened to cause my starter end to crack ( part with the o ring on it ) and the teeth to break off my benidix ?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
After reading into it last night I’m going to keep the oil injection due to carb blockage possibilities, is there a specific oil line I should do I noticed before the filter is a big line and then off filters and pumps are small lines that are really hard
Change and properly secure the small lines from the pumps to the check valves/popoff valves and the small lines from the check valve/popoff valves and the air box. The small lines were the ones that were known to fall off and take out motors. Use 1/8 tygon tubing or polyurethane tubing and secure them properly with oetiker clamps or safety wire. Be sure and put the popoff valves in the correct direction. Be sure and bleed all the air out of the system. You can pull the air box cover and drip oil down the carburetors while it runs to prevent any laps in oiling for air bubbles you could not bleed out. You can also manually turn the oil pump to wide open at idle to speed up the process. In reality all the oil lines are equally important so be sure all of them are properly secured. It would be a good idea to replace or back flush the oil filter.

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
You know what could have happened to cause my starter end to crack ( part with the o ring on it ) and the teeth to break off my benidix ?
I have to assume it was locked up at some point. If you can turn the motor by hand in the correct direction 1+ turns its nolonger locked up. Hopefully it was locked up from somthing stuck in the pump at some point otherwise it my be cylinder damage and it locks up when the pistons heat up and swell and frees up when it cools down. A compression test when you get it together would be a good idea.

Also be sure and replace and secure the oil lines on both motors.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ok so I got it back together it turns over so I did things right, while compression testing ( all 120 psi btw ) I noticed the engine has oil in the cylinders ( I can see it when I take out the plugs ) I turned it over a few times with the plugs out and it’s launching oil out 10ft high, questions are why is there oil in all cylinders ( remember it sat for 3 years ) and do I need to get all this oil out ? How should I do it if so ?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
To get the excessive oil out crank it over with the spark plugs out until the excessive oil quits coming out.

The excessive oil in the engine may have been why the engine was locked up, hydro locked from oil in the cylinders and the it broke the bendix and starter.

Why the oil is there either somone put it there for some reason. Or more likely the check valves in the oil lines are actually used as pop off valves to prevent oil from draining out of the oil tank though the pumps and into the engine when it is not running. It is possible one or more of the check valves is leaking or weaping overtime and just draining the oil tank into the engine. The check valves can be checked for leaks with a small hand air pump, it should take about 3psi? to open up the valve and should not leak oil/ air past it before that.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Is there a oil drain bolt on the crank case by chance ?

Hoppy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
No, its a two stoke there is not supposed to be any significant amount of oil in the crankcase thus no drain plug. Put some weighted down rags on top of the spark plug holes and crank it over.

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Shewwww 150$ for one set so 300 for both but if you got with the 20$ ones somethings not gonna work right

Coreye12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So o rebuilt the carbs got it all back together made sure cylinders was getting oil started it a little above idle then receding it up to 3k and then I tried to turn it off and it kept going with the key off at 3k had to put my hands over the intake to shut it down, you know what’s causing this ?