• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Box anchors or Danforth?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It fits collapsed just fine @TechRider . It will go in if you make about 3 different twists to get flukes in, then down, upper flukes in, and then have something you can do with the control arm. Too tight to suit me, so I am going collapsed until I have some time to study a better solution. It is actually easier in the 240 to assemble than in my 230, because we have that step to put a foot on, and the anchor can rest across your knee, and one hand to hold it and one hand to drop the lock pin in. I find it adds only maybe 5 seconds to my anchor deployment or retrieval process from not having to do it...once you get used to it. You may find the anchor cheaper...I bought my Slide Small Box Anchor from Explosive Powersports for $131 and change plus $11 and change shipping...
http://www.explosivepowersports.com/slide-anchor-small-box-anchor-collapsible-box-anchor-sba/

steined

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would a baby anchor work in calm waters, no current situations? Has anyone tried a baby box anchor? Our boats aren't as heavy as Stern drives of equivalent length are they?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@maboat uses a baby box occasionally...but I can tell you I have seen it let loose in not too much of a breeze at all. But our boats are MUCH heavier and have more wind surface than a PWC and that is what the baby box is made for. It is a nice secondary anchor for a lunch anchor maybe, but even then, I find it easier to use my primary anchor all the time and have close to 100% security.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
True, I use a baby box. The whole truth is I carry both a baby box and the small box.
  • baby box fits in ar230 anchor locker without folding (small box is too big for my anchor locker)
  • baby box is easier for First Mate to lift/deploy/retrieve (small box is too heavy for my First Mate to handle without banging the boat)
My baby box is always unfolded, and ready to go at a moments notice. It holds my boat most of the time. If the wind gets too strong, I can pull out the small box which I keep folded up in its storage bag under the front seat. I use a locking carabiner on the end of the anchor line so I can unhook the baby box and attached the small box when needed.

vt650

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love my small box anchor along with the anchor buddy. I would like to get a baby box, because I think it would work for most of the time and would be easier for crew to help with.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks Mel, So it fits in nice collapsed but if expanded you have to make the adjustments you mentioned? I have a coupon from Overtons and they will match price so you saved me some money :)

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to get a baby box, because I think it would work for most of the time and would be easier for crew to help with.
That's exactly why I carry a baby box. But it does let loose if the wind picks up.

Baby box is good most of the time, but you do need a backup plan for those times when its not enough

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Mel, So it fits in nice collapsed but if expanded you have to make the adjustments you mentioned? I have a coupon from Overtons and they will match price so you saved me some money :)
It fits in our lockers collapsed just fine. I've lined my anchor locker with Dri-Dek Panels from West Marine because I put this very anchor through the hull in my old boats anchor locker. I've not tried to put it in the locker still assembled so no comment on that from me. I have given thought to the Baby Box as well as I believe it would work in most of my anchoring situations and it would allow the wife to retrieve "the" anchor more often.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Rigger, that scares me a little. What caused it to break through?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
bouncing! You don't want to have a 19 pound hunk of steel bouncing up and down in your locker!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Rigger, that scares me a little. What caused it to break through?
Yep, Mel hit it on the head. And it wasn't nothing out of the ordinary, just going over boat wake and such caused $1700 worth of fiberglass repair!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, you all have given me reason to think about adding a box anchor to the boat. I haven't had any trouble, yet, with the Danforth and it has done a good job keeping me in one place. After watching the video on how these box anchors work, I can see why folks like them.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to fit the small box fully assembled in the locker. I still have the ladder in mine, so I was able to fit it in (it ain't quick and easy) and then I have it strapped to the ladder so it doesn't knock about. Very tight fit. I have not lined yet. If I do it might no longer fit unless collapsed.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to fit the small box fully assembled in the locker. I still have the ladder in mine, so I was able to fit it in (it ain't quick and easy) and then I have it strapped to the ladder so it doesn't knock about. Very tight fit. I have not lined yet. If I do it might no longer fit unless collapsed.
I highly, highly recommend you pad that locker with the box anchor in there. I have heard Many sad stories of creating spider cracks due to bouncing around.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Understood and agree. That is why I have secured it in the meantime. But you are exactly correct. Thanks.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trust me you'll want to line your anchor locker! In my old SX 230 my box anchor got loose and this is what happened. This is a picture of the Port side. Starboard was the same. It punched right through the thin hull!

6789756846_530747ed57_b.jpg

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like I said previously, this was a $1700 repair that fortunately my insurance graciously covered.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little different view of the port side.

6935871849_7b849cfd3b_b.jpg

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OUCH!!!