• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brake line broke

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fun story, I was replacing a corroded caliper yesterday and as I was undoing the bolts to the axel and the steel brake line to the other side fell right off with it. So now a caliper replacement has turned into a brake line replacement. Any recommendations on brake hose? I need to fix it quick to get to the lake this weekend.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you take the broken pieces to an auto parts store and get them to make a replacement hose? I know that Bumper to Bumper makes hoses in my area.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^that's what I'd do

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up some flexible tubing and some compassion fittings and am going to fix it myself. One rotor and caliper done, on to the next before I pull the new line and bleed the brakes. The rotor and caliper were easier than I thought to replace. just a greasy mess.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is the tubing rated for brakes? The fluid is pretty harsh on most materials and can get hot. Just wanted to make sure to save a headache

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hard line or stainess braided lines due to the pressure. You just hose clamp a line on and you will blow it right off.
Also don't forget to bleed the brakes.
Or switch to a cheap electric setup.

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a bunch of alloy tubing, no one around here had the braided lines. My second caliper was frozen on, took 4 hours and a sawz-all to get that thing off. Tomorrow is stringing the brake line and bleeding that bitch out. I need beer. I had my boat in Hawaii for 2 1/2 years, that took a huge toll on the brakes. I had a pad just crumble to pieces out of the caliper. No about of rinsing and corrosion spray kept Hawaii salt off the steel. Anyone put zinc anodes on their trailers?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you think anodes would help? I see how they would be good for the brief times the trailer is in the water but would they help when it is out?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel your pain I just let the shop do it a few months back they replaced the steel lines with sometype of rubber line I think I know its no longer metal. Tomorrow I will try and get a pic and post it.

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finished up the brake line. Had to borrow a flare tool from Auto Zone , but got the line on the new calipers. They look so shiny. The only thing no one really ever tells you is how much to bleed the brakes and how much a PIA it is. I think it was about 50-60 reps on the master cylinder to get all the air out. I consider that my work out for the week.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Next time drop the money on a mighty vac. I have one that works off compressed air. Sucks fluid through the system until it's bubble free and clear. Works great for changing fluid (which people neglect). Best ~60.00 I ever spent.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I couldn't agree more with having a mighty vac handy. I bought one last year as well. Money well spent. Still need a second person though to watch that the reservoir doesn't go empty or you'll doing a lot of back and forth from underneath the boat to the hitch.